8 Divers missing Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's now approaching 8pm here...Still no word on the fate of the 8 missing divers. As the foreign diving community here in Taiwan is fairly small, we often run over the same paths, meet the same locals, do the same lunatic fringe dives.

The search parties, coast guard rescue boats and helicopters have been at it since dawn. One despondent wife is separated from her husband (she was too seasick to do the second dive and opted out), the dive shop owners nephew (one of the dive instructors) is also included among the missing. It's a very sad event all around.

I think there are some interesting comparisons to be made between the Peleliu incident and 7 star. One is a challenging, but international dive site enjoyed by thousands annually, and the other is so far off the beaten track it's normally dived by a few dozen hardy souls at most from year to year. And yes I've done both sites more than once.

Diving "the cut" at Peleliu could be one of the single greatest dives I've ever done. But, there is something very hypnotic about the "true frontier" feeling of 7-star, the element of risk knowings it's troubled past, the amazing visibility, the shoals of fish/pelagics not normally found on the mainland dive sites due to overfishing, the feeling of the currrent sucking you between the rocks like a giant vacuum cleaner, the dropoff into the abyss on the backside, Anthias dancing everywhere....A magical place.

This is pinnacle diving at it's finest. 7-star despite the dangers is a world-class dive site.

Unfortunately, the window for safe diving on the 7-star site is very short, usually only 2-3months maximum, and during that time it might get 1-2 weekends with favorable weather/tides. If the conditions are even remotely iffy, the dive is instantly canceled; the penalty for an error in weather judgment (as seen currently) is just too high to contemplate.

The single largest question in the diving community here is this: Why did they choose to go out when the conditions were so obviously unfavorable? The same boat captain that taken us there safely/cautiously in the past is the same one that motored this group of 14 out there in huge swells/ripping current. A short video clip of a coast guard cutter standing off of the dive site showed it getting knocked around by what looked to be 3 meter swells.

Winds are out of the SW, and this is good for two reasons...First, it should push them toward the mainland's southern tip and toward the Black River (Kurushio current) that runs all the way up the east coast of Taiwan toward Japan in some places within a few hundred yards of shore.

A few years ago, a local diver was caught in this current, taken nearly 100miles up the east coast in 36 hours. He self rescued by swimming ashore. He's not the first. Another group of divers were diving off the Southeast coast on Green Island (about 26km off of the mainland) and were swept into the Kurushio and then carried all the way back to the mainland.

An earlier post inquired as to the nationalities of the missing divers...All of them are Taiwanese.

To add to what MJB stated. Yesterday there was actually 3 boats on the dive site. All three had divers do the first dive. The current changed as planned but the surface conditions went for the worse. Two of the 3 boats decided to call it a day and do the second dive elsewhere. Reported that the boat with the missing divers decided to stay upon request of the divers on the boat.

Finally I have heard 2 different storys about what happened and the current situation. There is one tale of events being broadcasted to the media for the benefit of the families and Taiwan people. There is another story going around the police station, coast guard and dive operators. So who knows what to believe. Fact of the matter is there are still maybe 8 divers floating on the surface of the water enduring the second night. If they had lights the batteries are probably used up from last night.

2 weeks ago I organized a trip to seven stars....had a full boat of 12 divers....endured the 1.5 hour ride out there and was within 300 meters of the drop point. A' Ming (the boat captain), said no way. I questioned the call, we discussed, I agreed and that's it....we cancelled the dive went elsewhere.

What are the water temps there now?

If they had lights the batteries are probably used up from last night.

Everyone should have a small LED flashlight in their safety kit. I carry a 4 AAA battery light which weighs a few ounces & is advertised for 100 hour battery life. Even if I get half that, it's a few nights. When used to illuminate my SMB, by placing the light in the bottom, it can be seen from a very good distance. Shined directly at someone a single LED can be seen for a mile.

Hopefully the divers are together & the currents are bringing them closer to the mainland & rescue as I write this.

Ah-Chuen, the owner of Nan-Bei dive shop (One of the largest in Kenting) was interviewed earlier on TVBS as he had a group out on one of the three dive boats.

He stated that the currents on the first dive were already really strong...In the background was his video from the boat as they aborted the second dive. In the background, you can clearly see a couple of things. First, the current was really ripping, and the ill-fated dive boat in the background

Ah Chuen is one of Taiwan's premier underwater photographers, as well as one of the original "dirty dozen" that started diving out there so many years ago. If he says the conditions warranted bailing, then they were indeed radical.

fairybasslet,

My wife and I use a Trident DL05. You can find a picture and description at

http://www.tridentdive.com/cat251.pdf

I bought them from BOB3, a member here on Scubaboard and am quite happy with them and with BOB3's price and customer service.

Tektite also makes a great product.

Tektite - LED Flashlights, LED Replacement Bulbs, Dive Lights, IR, Strobes, Marker Lights, UV, CSI, LZ kits, & Tekna Knives and lites
Thanks. I really do have to add one to my DiveAlert, mirror, whistle, sausage, etc. And I probably should get the rope and carabiners too.

I hope good news is heard about the missing divers today. My prayers are with them still.

Breaking news! One diver found, instructor, the nephew of the dive shops owner. Location was Taitung about 50 - 60 miles north of the dive site. He made it to shore, went to a homestay and called to confirm that he is alive.

Instructor stated that the others are just off shore but have no energy to swim. (this is what the news just stated).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom