8 die in Cancun bar from an 'attack'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously, there are people on this forum that think fire bombing a bar to intentionally murder all inside is 'business as usual' for any country, be it Mexico or the USA? Come on now, stop the BS. The drug killings are getting worse and worse. 72 found dead at that ranch last week? Business as usual?

I thinks it's only a matter of time and a matter of circumstance before this spills over into a tourist zone. But of course when it happens there will be those of you who will be quick to post silly arguments such as... what nobody ever gets killed where you live... and the rest of the ridiculous comparisions. It''s all good until it's you, your wife or somebody you know, then you'll have a bit harder time posting silly stuff about comparisons.

Seriously, there are people on this forum that think fire bombing a bar to intentionally murder all inside is 'business as usual' for any country, be it Mexico or the USA? Come on now, stop the BS. The drug killings are getting worse and worse. 72 found dead at that ranch last week? Business as usual?

I thinks it's only a matter of time and a matter of circumstance before this spills over into a tourist zone. But of course when it happens there will be those of you who will be quick to post silly arguments such as... what nobody ever gets killed where you live... and the rest of the ridiculous comparisions. It''s all good until it's you, your wife or somebody you know, then you'll have a bit harder time posting silly stuff about comparisons.

BBC News | Americas | Colorado killings suspect arrested
Jason Dasey in Denver, Colorado
1.-A 17-year-old man wanted in connecton with the deaths of six people has been arrested.

2.-two students at Columbine High School in Jefferson County, Colorado, near Denver, killed 12 fellow students and one teacher, and wounded 23 others, before committing suicide. The pair, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, entered the school building armed with rifles, shotguns and handguns; they had also built 99 improvised explosive devices. Their original plan, never realized, involved the killing of hundreds or more people.
a man in northern Alabama facing divorce shot his estranged wife, their teenage daughter and two relatives, before killing himself. Two days later a 44-year-old woman shot her 20-year-old son at point blank range in Casselberry, Florida, before shooting herself. In Dearborn, Michigan, a 28-year-old student shot a female classmate on the campus of Henry Ford Community College and then killed himself.....a man killed his wife and their three young children before fatally shooting himself in Middletown, Maryland. He left various suicide notes, complaining of psychological issues and financial problems.

3.-http://www.huliq.com/44436/matthew-murray-identified-shooter-colorado-killings
After being refused a room at the Youth With a Mission building Matthew Murray fired on several of the staff members

4.-http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-10-19/news/17138073_1_double-slaying-sixth-soldier-five-killings

Talking about comparisons, crime is everywhere it is up to each person to let it get to them, here criminal organizations are at war between each other compared to the nature of crimes and killings mentioned above.
So I guess, everyone should think before coming to Cancun, or skiing in Colorado.(where I have many friends and diver buddies and even when there has been crime around their communities and has happened to their families, like mentioned on the post above, they continue to live their lives happily and come visit several times a year) Every one is entitled to their own opinion and I respect every opinion but let's start by getting things into perspective, I know the mob here is very bad but they do NOT GO AGAINST TOURISM, they respect tourists, plus, maybe there would not be such bad wars and many killings that happen for the right to export and distribute drugs, not here, if there was not so much demand of drug exporting this would not happen

BBC News | Americas | Colorado killings suspect arrested
Jason Dasey in Denver, Colorado
1.-A 17-year-old man wanted in connecton with the deaths of six people has been arrested.

2.-two students at Columbine High School in Jefferson County, Colorado, near Denver, killed 12 fellow students and one teacher, and wounded 23 others, before committing suicide. The pair, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, entered the school building armed with rifles, shotguns and handguns; they had also built 99 improvised explosive devices. Their original plan, never realized, involved the killing of hundreds or more people.
a man in northern Alabama facing divorce shot his estranged wife, their teenage daughter and two relatives, before killing himself. Two days later a 44-year-old woman shot her 20-year-old son at point blank range in Casselberry, Florida, before shooting herself. In Dearborn, Michigan, a 28-year-old student shot a female classmate on the campus of Henry Ford Community College and then killed himself.....a man killed his wife and their three young children before fatally shooting himself in Middletown, Maryland. He left various suicide notes, complaining of psychological issues and financial problems.

3.-http://www.huliq.com/44436/matthew-murray-identified-shooter-colorado-killings
After being refused a room at the Youth With a Mission building Matthew Murray fired on several of the staff members

4.-http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-10-19/news/17138073_1_double-slaying-sixth-soldier-five-killings

Talking about comparisons, crime is everywhere it is up to each person to let it get to them, here criminal organizations are at war between each other compared to the nature of crimes and killings mentioned above.
So I guess, everyone should think before coming to Cancun, or skiing in Colorado.(where I have many friends and diver buddies and even when there has been crime around their communities and has happened to their families, like mentioned on the post above, they continue to live their lives happily and come visit several times a year) Every one is entitled to their own opinion and I respect every opinion but let's start by getting things into perspective, I know the mob here is very bad but they do NOT GO AGAINST TOURISM, they respect tourists, plus, maybe there would not be such bad wars and many killings that happen for the right to export and distribute drugs, not here, if there was not so much demand of drug exporting this would not happen

Case in point. Game set match.

They do not go against tourists. I got news for you, they don't have to "go against tourists" for tourists to get accidently killed in the cross fire. We've already got mexican bullets whizzing across the border due to drug gangs and your federalies battling it out. Only a matter of time till some innocent gets killed by accident, without your drug gangs "going against them"

By Calderon's own numbers over 22,000 killed so far due to this no big deal, business as usual, happens everywhere little problem that is spilling closer and closer to Mexico's tourist areas. Only a matter of time before some drug gang shoots up a Cancun night club in order to get 1 of their enemies and a bunch of innocents get killed in the process.

When you say "YOUR federalies" i do not own them so they are not mine, and it is federales, not federalies, just like in "your" language when you post 'I THINKS' maybe you mean I think, right? so there is no point arguing, first I myself would learn how to express my ideas, and I am mexican remember, my federalies...... and then you mention 'YOUR' drug gangs, they are not mine either, at the beginning of the post you say YOU GOT NEWS FOR ME????? So you are the expert now about Cancun matters?? to my experience, who has ever said YOUR meaning a country or town, do not deserve the time or a response, please I am begging you, do not ever come to Mexico, stay in Colorado where it is not ORGANIZED CRIME, but like you say "YOUR" kids are only learning to use arms and kill (Not any disrespect for any Colorado residents who do understand that crime is everywhere including many friends from a long time ago colorado residents that do not judge but have been harmed by crimes that have nothing to do with ORGANIZED CRIME but worse matters). Last post I refer to you sir, I do wish you the best, and may you open your mind and try to learn more about a subject before expressing about something you have not the slightest idea about, but I do understand, sometimes life can be obnoxious to some people, it may be so hard that people need to express their anger....
I do love life and what I do, so I will keep on diving and having many of many divers come visit that take opinions like these from who they come from.....
and tomorrow I get to interact with whale sharks coooooool!!!!!!!!! happy diving to all, and Cancun still is a great place to dive and vacation!!!!! and it will always be

How many of you people will continue to look the other way as this country continues to kill their own (another mayor...No. 8 was killed today) and just say 'oh well...business as usual" And I just love these people like the post above where they quote the random violence in this country as if to point out the violence that exists here. BIG difference pal your country is over run with thugs that have taken control of YOUR country. Have a nice life and when they come for you and behead your family dont look to the USA to bail you out!! I wouldnt travel to Mexico for any reason, the biggest, most corrupt country on earth, no wonder they all want out!

Case in point. Game set match.

They do not go against tourists. I got news for you, they don't have to "go against tourists" for tourists to get accidently killed in the cross fire. We've already got mexican bullets whizzing across the border due to drug gangs and your federalies battling it out. Only a matter of time till some innocent gets killed by accident, without your drug gangs "going against them"

By Calderon's own numbers over 22,000 killed so far due to this no big deal, business as usual, happens everywhere little problem that is spilling closer and closer to Mexico's tourist areas. Only a matter of time before some drug gang shoots up a Cancun night club in order to get 1 of their enemies and a bunch of innocents get killed in the process.

How many of you people will continue to look the other way as this country continues to kill their own (another mayor...No. 8 was killed today) and just say 'oh well...business as usual" And I just love these people like the post above where they quote the random violence in this country as if to point out the violence that exists here. BIG difference pal your country is over run with thugs that have taken control of YOUR country. Have a nice life and when they come for you and behead your family dont look to the USA to bail you out!! I wouldnt travel to Mexico for any reason, the biggest, most corrupt country on earth, no wonder they all want out!

Mexico does great and fantastic with out you traveling to visit this such bad country so do us a favor and stay away, we will be thankful, and as for your wishes to my family, I am certain it will never happen it happens to people that are into the business of drugs and this business has grown due to the demand not in Mexico but in other countries! about USA bailing me out, I am certain you are not the USA, I went to college in the USA, I have many, many friends from the USA, and I am so very glad that all people are different and have their own opinions, as for your statement, there are many more corrupt countries in the world, but like I said before, I understand your anger against your life, your small little world of the TV news you get and think just cause you read a note on a paper or saw it on TV you think you know everything, no problem with out you and many like you Mexico, Cancun, will prevail. And yes to me is business as usual, I know I can get harmed on cross fire, I also know I can trip and break my head, or get shot by a teenager that learns more violence from a TV than life itself, but life goes on, it is up to each one to live their life in fear, trashing everyone and being angry at the world, or be safe, cautious, but most important happy, I wish you the best in the world!!! Happy diving!:D

Mexico does great and fantastic with out you traveling to visit this such bad country so do us a favor and stay away, we will be thankful, and as for your wishes to my family, I am certain it will never happen it happens to people that are into the business of drugs and this business has grown due to the demand not in Mexico but in other countries! about USA bailing me out, I am certain you are not the USA, I went to college in the USA, I have many, many friends from the USA, and I am so very glad that all people are different and have their own opinions, as for your statement, there are many more corrupt countries in the world, but like I said before, I understand your anger against your life, your small little world of the TV news you get and think just cause you read a note on a paper or saw it on TV you think you know everything, no problem with out you and many like you Mexico, Cancun, will prevail. And yes to me is business as usual, I know I can get harmed on cross fire, I also know I can trip and break my head, or get shot by a teenager that learns more violence from a TV than life itself, but life goes on, it is up to each one to live their life in fear, trashing everyone and being angry at the world, or be safe, cautious, but most important happy, I wish you the best in the world!!! Happy diving!:D

That's funny. Don't come to Mexico and all you Mexians will be just fine?

LOL. Cancun was built for American tourists. It only exists yesterday, today and tomorrow because of us going there.

I remember the short time that cruise ships stopped going to Cozumel because of the swine flu out break and the island almost went bankrupt. Locals were out of work and could barely fend and feed themselves.

Careful what you wish for. You won't be doing anything without American tourists.

Keep pretending 22000 people killed is nothing but what should be happening. Ridiculous.

People should do a little research first... Mexico is number 6 on the list of countries with the highest per capita murder rates. The US is number 24. (Colombia is 1 btw). 26000 people have been killed in Mexico in drug wars.. That is a lot different than crazy individuals shooting up a school/workplace. To gloss over the violence or to pretend that it is the same as in the United States is willful ignorance.

Last edited:
That's funny. Don't come to Mexico and all you Mexians will be just fine?

LOL. Cancun was built for American tourists. It only exists yesterday, today and tomorrow because of us going there.

I remember the short time that cruise ships stopped going to Cozumel because of the swine flu out break and the island almost went bankrupt. Locals were out of work and could barely fend and feed themselves.

Careful what you wish for. You won't be doing anything without American tourists.

Keep pretending 22000 people killed is nothing but what should be happening. Ridiculous.

I was not referring to the all the fine people that live in the United States, of whom I know very many, I was referring to you only. Fine, you are so right, Cancun is so bad it seems you know it for a fact maybe you live here or operate here so you should know and we all can take your word for it, do not come, keep posting bad about Cancun, we will still get many people to visit, I have had access to reservations, and there are plenty, right now normal low season, everyone has their opinions and every one as suggested on the next post should get real information before they travel anywhere, I never intended to compare one country or culture or killings at all, I am just pointing out every where you look you can find crime and negativity. Also pointing out that sure my family would be beheaded if I lived around a drug environment, but my family will still live here and vacation here because where we are there are no cross fires and if there are so be it, it was my time to go, but there are other ways to go like sicknesses, and many others...so I will not move and will continue to operate and dive in low season right now there are about 17,000 rooms occupied today only in cancun, let us say that maybe 25000 tourists, (that is low), and not a single one had any shooting killing beheading problems, they will go back bewteen tomorrow and saturday and tell their friends what a great time they had, (at least my divers from today) and no one can say different specially if they do not live here and know the whole story, so please have a great life, and stay safe, and if YOUR VERY OWN point of view staying safe means writing posts about how bad YOU KNOW for a fact Cancun is, go right ahead, if it means to not come and advise others not to come go ahead, I have stated my point and will not bother you with my stupid comments any more , how dare I? , I only live in the place you are talking about, have lived here for 18 yrs. never ever seen a death body, or a drug cartel killing or anything like that, once someone broke into my car but that is about it, and that is how it is for most inhabitants of the place you are trying so hard to kill. Wish you and all the best always and may God bless us all.
Happy diving to everyone

I was not referring to the all the fine people that live in the United States, of whom I know very many, I was referring to you only. Fine, you are so right, Cancun is so bad it seems you know it for a fact

:shakehead: Dude give it up. Nobody said Cancun sucked. The fact is that Mexico has a very real and very bad problem right now with the drug cartels.

ITS A HUGE PROBLEM. Not business as usual. It's international news, it's effecting tourism, it's effecting relations with our countries.. it goes on and on.

ITS A PROBLEM.

You get sh*t because you're trying to pretend it's not and that there is ZERO danger or chance anything will happen to a tourist in a tourist zone.

You can't guarantee that, nobody can. And the facts are as this has grown larger and larger and crept closer and closer to the tourist zones, the probability only increases that an unfortunate event is likely to happen.

Now to gain some face. Just reply.

"Yes you are right. This drug thing is a big problem and I hope it doesn't keep escalating to the point that something happens in the tourist zone to tourists, cause with our fragile and sh*tty economy down here right now, that's the last thing we need to happen."

You didn't have this problem until Calderon went after them. So if you didn't have it before, then you're saying that prior to this it was not a problem either? You're saying that if you had a choice between picking what has been going on since 2006 (22000 deaths) or not having it, it would be a toss up to you which one you'd pick because there is no difference? Stop the BS man. You don't have to sugar coat it, you don't have to pretend there isn't a problem. If you admit it, tourism won't magically dry up the next instant. All you're doing is facing the facts and not rationalizing it, and having a discussion of the reaility of it, instead of trying to pretend if you keep denying it, then nothing further bad will come of it.

Back
Top Bottom