8 die in Cancun bar from an 'attack'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
today in drug related violence, hmmmm----that's in sight of Cozumel......

"
At Least 8 Killed in Cancun Bar Attack

Published August 31, 2010

| NewsCore
At least eight people were killed when Molotov cocktails were thrown into a bar in the Mexican town of Cancun, a resort area popular with U.S. tourists, officials said Tuesday.
"The death of eight people is confirmed. Six on site -- including four women -- and two others in hospital, also women," prosecutor Francisco Alor Quezada, from the southeastern state of Quintana Roo, told AFP.
According to witnesses, six men threw the Molotov cocktails at the establishment which had reported two attempts at extortion, apparently by the Zetas drug cartel.
Local media reports said the attack happened at around 1am local time Tuesday. It set off a fire which destroyed the bar, which is in a residential area not frequented by tourists, officials said.
The brutal Zetas, first set up by former paramilitaries in the 1990s, have grown in force since splitting off from the powerful Gulf gang, whom they are now fighting for control of drug trafficking routes.
They are suspected in last week's massacre of 72 migrants in northeast Mexico and many kidnapping, killing and extortion cases.
Cancun has seen sporadic attacks and gruesome discoveries of bodies in wells and graves as violence has escalated since President Felipe Calderon deployed tens of thousands of soldiers to take on organized crime gangs in 2006.
More than 28,000 have died in drug-related violence nationwide since then, according to official figures.

FOXNews.com - At Least 8 Killed in Cancun Bar Attack

The bar where this happened is far out in downtown Cancun, region 239, Leona Vicaro. Its at least 30min drive from the Hotel zone and tourist areas. I know this does not excuse these horrific attacks but tourism is still as safe as ever in Cancun and the Riviera Maya.
We all wish this would end believe me, its killing tourism in Mexico.

The bar where this happened is far out in downtown Cancun, region 239, Leona Vicaro. Its at least 30min drive from the Hotel zone and tourist areas. I know this does not excuse these horrific attacks but tourism is still as safe as ever in Cancun and the Riviera Maya.
We all wish this would end believe me, its killing tourism in Mexico.

30 minutes away is NOT considered a safe distance. At least..not to me.

Maybe now that its affecting tourism they'll really start cracking down. Or at least..let the US help. Stop arresting these idiots and just shoot em "trying to escape" that's the only way to really stem the tide.

Otherwise they just get out of prison and do it all over again. Lets start hanging La Barbie-types from bridges.

(only half-sorta kidding)

Ben,

Can you post a pin on google maps or something that shows where this attack took place? I'm coming to your area in a few weeks and would like to know.

Thanks.

30 minutes away is NOT considered a safe distance. At least..not to me.

In Los Angeles, 30 minutes separates Beverly Hills from some of the worst areas in the entire city. Guess it's all in your perspective!

Here we go again, another OMG a killing in Mexico. Why doesnt anyone ever report the murders that occur in the States? O ya not enough room to name the spots here. Most people that worry about the 'violence' in Mexico have more murders in their own town than in most of Mexico.

In Los Angeles, 30 minutes separates Beverly Hills from some of the worst areas in the entire city. Guess it's all in your perspective!

Agreed. Same thing where I live.

Here we go again, another OMG a killing in Mexico. Why doesnt anyone ever report the murders that occur in the States? O ya not enough room to name the spots here. Most people that worry about the 'violence' in Mexico have more murders in their own town than in most of Mexico.

Agreed. I just don't know my way around Cancun very well and I' am curious to know exactly where this happened. No plans to cancel the trip yet! :shortbus:

The Criminal organizations do not go around looking for tourists and hunt them. They go against each other.
It is really bad that this is happening CLOSE to Cancun, but at least to my knowledge there has never been any problems against tourists due to criminal drug wars.

The area where this happened as Ben has mentioned is deep into the OTHER SIDE of Cancun, and I believe that this area has never seen a tourist around.

It is a bad image for Cancun, but every one is entitled to their opinions. But it is good to revise the facts before making any plans. It was stated here that every city, town, state in the world has its own problems.

You really believe we wouldn't hear about 6 suspects tossing fire bombs into a bar in any US tourist destination? Death by arson is a pretty painful way to be murdered.

Would definitely make the national news.

You really believe we wouldn't hear about 6 suspects tossing fire bombs into a bar in any US tourist destination? Death by arson is a pretty painful way to be murdered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom