8 die in Cancun bar from an 'attack'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Los Angeles, 30 minutes separates Beverly Hills from some of the worst areas in the entire city. Guess it's all in your perspective!

In South Florida drive 5-10 minutes and you go from "questionable neighborhoods" to multi million dollar homes

In Manhattan, just walk out the door.
Really? Where do you live? There's no place south of 95th street that I would be reluctant to walk through at any hour--not counting subways.

You really believe we wouldn't hear about 6 suspects tossing fire bombs into a bar in any US tourist destination? Death by arson is a pretty painful way to be murdered.

Yep, 3 of those happened yesterday in our little one horse town & we only have 2 bars-----local cops kept it hush hush though--didn't want to upset the 'community'....

Really? Where do you live? There's no place south of 95th street that I would be reluctant to walk through at any hour--not counting subways.

South of Houston, and yeah, it does seem pretty safe. Then there's the days when you're woken up by a loud noise and you look out your window to see the WTC in flames, or there's a murder/ gunfight with police at "The Connecticut Muffin" on Prince St. etc.. I only meant that you're not really safe anywhere. I do feel much safer here than, say, South Florida where the veneer of safety is much thinner or North Carolina where a lot of people are carrying guns.

Yep, 3 of those happened yesterday in our little one horse town & we only have 2 bars-----local cops kept it hush hush though--didn't want to upset the 'community'....
Just out of curiosity, "3 of those happened yesterday" refers to what, exactly? Three cases where 6 suspects tossed fire bombs into a bar? Seems like you'd be a bar short for that. Or 3 deaths by arson?

Just out of curiosity, "3 of those happened yesterday" refers to what, exactly? Three cases where 6 suspects tossed fire bombs into a bar? Seems like you'd be a bar short for that. Or 3 deaths by arson?

Wait a minute while I take my tongue out my cheek......guess I should have put a :D or a LOL in those statements somewhere.........:D

Wait a minute while I take my tongue out my cheek......guess I should have put a :D or a LOL in those statements somewhere.........:D
:rofl3: No need, I was just a little sluggish.

Here we go again, another OMG a killing in Mexico. Why doesnt anyone ever report the murders that occur in the States? O ya not enough room to name the spots here. Most people that worry about the 'violence' in Mexico have more murders in their own town than in most of Mexico.

I ran the numbers last time this came up and per capita my own home town isn't as violent as Cancun (just taking into account the published drug murders in the area so far this year vs. all homicide stats in Seattle).

Granted, New Orleans probably still has more homicides per capita than Cancun, so its still within the range of experience over the whole USA. Between Seattle and NOLA, though, we're talking about a range of 3.6 homicides/yr per 100,000 for Seattle vs. 55 homicides/yr per 100,000 for NOLA.

Still a few years ago it was being argued that this drug violence would never, ever come to Q. Roo and now it has. Now it is being argued that it will never, ever impact the tourist business and really isn't all that bad. The trend is clearly going in the wrong direction.

OTOH, to me it just suggests I need to spend more time down there *now* in case it does become too violent at some point in the future...

This makes me sad. My heart's in Q. Roo, as I spent my honeymoon in Playa Del Carmen, and we have a relative with vacation property on Isla Mujeres. Won't stop me from visiting, however. Just means I need to spend more time underwater, where molotov cocktails can't affect me. :lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom