Trip Report 8/21/2021 Trip with Niuhi (Pensacola)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Niuhi has moved back to their slip at Southwind Marina, which is still undergoing repairs to damage caused by Hurricane Sally last year.

Since my 8/23 trip didn't fill up, and was cancelled, I was given an option on a spot on the Saturday 2-tank midshore trip. I left New Orleans at 5:30 in order to get everything prepared for a 12:30 meet-up.

Weather was overcast, and hot, seas were 1-2 with wide periods, and wind was out of the southwest (I think).

First drop was the Pete Tide II, which I have been on many times in the last 20 years. Vis was a murky 20-30' and it was pretty dark with the overcast skies. The wreck is still identifiable as a boat, but has deteriorated a lot since it went down. Some of the interior walls are collapsed, and it is pretty spooky. Schools of baitfish, mangrove snapper, amberjack, some triggers, butterflyfish, big queen angelfish and smaller decorative fish are all over the wreck. Water was hot on the surface (84*), with a cooler mid-layer (78*), and hot again on the bottom (80*). Max depth 90' for a dive lasting nearly an hour. Slight currents on the top and bottom, but nothing serious. This is a great dive for a small group.

Second drop was a live-boat exercise on Green's Hole. Vis was about the same, max depth 105'. Tons of triggers, big-eye snapper, and more than a few lionfish. Green's is a circular depression in the bottom with edges rising up 5-10'. Temps were about the same for a 30-min bottom time . Lobster are sometimes found here, but I saw none. I had never been to Green's hole before, and love diving the hard bottom of the gulf. It's nice that it's not the 125-130' of the Trysler Grounds, or Timberholes, but has the same sort of relief, if not so dramatic.

A great, hot day on the water with Niuhi, as always. Still a couple of spots open for the Sept 18 mid-shore dive with Niuhi.

Back
Top Bottom