8/2/03 Kayuba Reef / Ft. Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdoege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys -

I've taken to diving off of my kayak. I went diving with the Kayuba club off of Ft. Lauderdale.

Kayuba was in one of the diving magazines this month. I met lots of really nice divers and kayakers.

The entrance point is on 838 and A1A. Take exit 27 on I-95, go east until the road stops at the beach, take a right, park. The entrance point is really convenient. Just swing the yak over the wall, gear up, and drag it into the H2O.

There are 3 reefs off of Ft. Lauderdale. We dove the 2nd reef.

It is 3/4 mile off shore in about 25' of water. The reef was gorgeous. The sun lit it up spectactularly. Lots of life. Lobsters, sea bass, a big school of cuda, mackeral, bait fish.

The sea bass was large enough that he wasn't afraid of me. "Yo, what do you want?". We stayed face to face for a while before I moved on.

There were some very territorial, albeit small, fish on the reef. They would rush out to confront me, realize that I was about 100 times their size, and then rush back into a hole.

Pretty funny! "THIS IS MY REEF! oh, you are big. sorry"

The lobsters were just chillin. Next week my little shelled friends.

After a great dive we had lunch at "The Parrot". Great little bar.

My gear is way too heavy for the yak. I'll post some tips in the General Discussion forum.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom