7mm wetsuit weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim, there's only one little problem with swimming down that first 10 feet. You're going to be even MORE buoyant at the end of your dive. Holding 15 feet in a 7mm doubled up is trouble enough, no need to be more buoyant.

Regardless of the weight it takes to make the inital descent, it is imperative that you be able to establish neutral buoyancy at your safety stop with an empty (practically speaking) tank.

Rule of thumb for 7mm is 10% of body weight plus 5lb. That would put you in the 20lb range.

is that for a 7mm two piece or 1 piece? Because im trying to get my weight dialed in also. Ive got all new stuff and Ive got only 1 dive past cert. Im using a DR SS plate and a 1 pc 7mm. im 160, 5'7 and lean so id venture to say Im about neutral in the water with nothing on.

Thanks
-Matt

Well you'll need less than what they're telling me since a one piece has less neoprene and the plate will also add to your negative bouyancy.

RedCash02:
I recently just bought a Harvey's 7mm 2 piece wetsuit and will be taking my first attempts at some cold water diving this year...brr... Anyway, I was hoping someone could give me an estimate on how much weight I will need because I probably dont even own enough yet and I was going to try and get my weight worked out on the new suit this weekend after I take a shallow dive in warmer waters. I'm 5'9" 145lbs and negatively bouyant in fresh and salt water. I'll probably be renting Al tanks for these fresh water quarries, but in the ocean with no exposure protection and a LP85 I wore no weight at all, and maybe 2-4lbs with an Al. Can someone give me a good guess on what it might be around?

Remember from the old school: 10% of your body weight plus 7 lbs.

Easiest way to set up your weight is to perform a test run. I have about 85 pounds of weight plus a spare 25 pound bag of shot.

For my wet suit 7mm Scuba pro I need about 25 (12.5 per side) pounds in fresh water, I float neutral and use 80AL's.

For my dry suit I use 25 pounds (12.5 per side) in the Zeagle pockets and add 5 to the trim pockets.

Found this out by bringing the weights down to the water and exhausting bc and dry suit or just bc if wearing the wet. Had my buddy pass me weights above the initial guess (20 pounds) until I could submerge. For the beginning dive I added a few pounds to compensate for the change in bouyancy of the AL80 when down to 500 psi then checked weight again at end of the dive.

hope this helps

Sounds like everybody has steered you in the right direction.
I use a 6.5 semi dry and I use 22 and with any luck I will end up dropping a pound or two within the next couple of dives. The amazing part is that it takes at least 6lbs for me in the pool. Even my instructor couldn't believe that one.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone compiled a list with bouyancies of different suits? I would think it would be helpful if manufactures had a buoyancy number for each size of their specific products. Surely they most know (or could easily test) and post those on their specs ( something lik: Brand new Mares 6.5mm semi-dry ## pound positively bouyant). That would make things much easiery when buying new exposure pieces and getting initial weighting in the ballpark.

I am using 18 lb for 7mm Henderson, 3 mm hooded vest, and 1 mm skin. My buddy is using 16lb for 7mm jump suit and 1mm skin.

The good part is that you only need a couple of pound when you move to Drysuit.. LOL~~~

berick:
Just out of curiousity, has anyone compiled a list with bouyancies of different suits? I would think it would be helpful if manufactures had a buoyancy number for each size of their specific products. Surely they most know (or could easily test) and post those on their specs ( something lik: Brand new Mares 6.5mm semi-dry ## pound positively bouyant). That would make things much easiery when buying new exposure pieces and getting initial weighting in the ballpark.

Good point, it ought to be a catalog spec and be part of the permanent lableing. It would only be of comparative value once an individual knows where he/she falls. I bet doing so would have a "life saving" implication and that's part of why it's guarded info. They would also need a disclaimer indicating that repeated deep diving will reduce the buoyancy.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom