7mm wetsuit weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on please! It is only insight in the ballpark. There are so many factors to get the right weight, for example, water condition (sea or fresh) your weight, your body fat, your breath pattern, and your system (BC, fin, and tank), etc.... So, you had better bring the extra small pounds of weight for the final adjustment. Otherwise, you won't be happy.

boatdiver842:
Remember from the old school: 10% of your body weight plus 7 lbs.

I was in the pool yesterday and wisely made decision to don my Akona 6.5mil farmer john, before hitting the quarry next weekend. I tried weighting this thing before and just didn't have sufficient weight. So, I bought some based on the 10% + 5lbs. rule. I'm 6'1 and 250, so I loaded 30lbs. twenty on my belt, six in my bc pockets and 4 in the tank trim.

I jumped in minus hood and gloves and couldn't get my head in the water!! I started doing a opposum with my feet floating to the surface. I managed to make my way to the shallow end, of course looking like a moron. I had a dive con after 10 minutes of trying to kneel on the bottom, decide I needed more weight. So, he starts clipping on weights, puts on two ankle weights (four pounds) and we try again. Finally, I was able to hit the bottom (BC empty). I went through all the checkouts and then swam down to the deep end for testing.

I had 40 lbs of lead on me!!!! :11: I felt much more comfortable, even though those *$()#@$ ankle weights made me walk like Ahhhhnold. I suspect that I was overweighted, but again, didn't have a hood or gloves on that I will need to compensate for.

Anyone here hauling this much lead to the bottom?! Quite frankly, I'd like to think something is up. XXXL suit, that probably should be a XXL.

Jack

Hauling a lot of freight on the bottom :D

I would strongly suggest that you do another test with the suit if you are packing 40lbs. For one thing that is a HUGE safety factor with most BC's. If the BC won't lift that kind of weight you are screwed the deeper you go. I used a 7 farmer john and a 5 full under that and only used 32, if memory serves me right...fresh water.

As far as the chart idea.. way too many issue but I have to agree that it would be helpful. If you want to know what it takes to sink the suit do this.

1. Put the suit in a mesh bag or such.
2. Add weight to the bag till the suit sinks.
Note: do this in a pool or shallow waters!!

You will probably end up a bit too heavy beacuse of air in the suit but if you attempt to get most of the air out before trying to sink it, it should be close.

I'm not arguing the chart would solve everyone's weighting issues. Just mine! I know I need 10-12 lbs in saltwater with a skin and my 7mm boots. Now, I want to dive in cold water where I live so I can substract 2.5% of my geared up weight for freshwater. If I knew the bouyancy of the suit, hood, and gloves, I would be close (keeping all other gear and tank type the same) by adding that much weight. Also, since I don't have a pool easily accessable ( and hate the idea of a 7mm with hood and gloves in 80 plus water) and since when I rent an AL80 it will be initially full, if I knew the bouyancy of the new neoprene I would be much closer then just guessing and/or trying to get close with the full tank. Obviously, I could nail the weight after the dive with 500 psi in the tank when I do the bouyancy check properly.

Still, I'd like to be a little closer to "properly" weighted when I do that first dive. But, to throw another kink into things, I'll probably rent a 7mm suit so I won't know how "new" the suit is so the specs for a new suit would be an upper bound for the weight I'd need.

Still, I'd just like to see the specs on buoyancy somewhere.

I'll definitely do that! I have a ScubaPro Knighthawk and I think it has 45-50lbs of lift, so I should be okay with that. The dive con told me that I should lighten up, the more I dive. But it kind of made me angry that they attribute my difficulty with my bouancy to being inept in the pool. Everyone else was wearing either no wetsuit or a 3mil. I don't know what they are going to do at the quarry this weekend, because it's probably in the sixty's now. Should be interesting....

I wasn't trying to whack anyone in the head about the ten percent + 5lbs. Obviously, it works for many people. I started with that and looked like a harpooned whale in the pool. :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Jack

crpntr133:
I would strongly suggest that you do another test with the suit if you are packing 40lbs. For one thing that is a HUGE safety factor with most BC's. If the BC won't lift that kind of weight you are screwed the deeper you go. I used a 7 farmer john and a 5 full under that and only used 32, if memory serves me right...fresh water.

As far as the chart idea.. way too many issue but I have to agree that it would be helpful. If you want to know what it takes to sink the suit do this.

1. Put the suit in a mesh bag or such.
2. Add weight to the bag till the suit sinks.
Note: do this in a pool or shallow waters!!

You will probably end up a bit too heavy beacuse of air in the suit but if you attempt to get most of the air out before trying to sink it, it should be close.

Just wanted you to be safe!!

Yes, you will probably drop a few pounds the more you dive. I know I have lost 4 in 15 dives. A lot of it is just taking the time to do a weight check and go from there. I never did a weight check during my open water. We slapped what we were told on the belt and went diving.

Don't worry. You will be winner. I have dived with the board member who was wearing 3mm wetsuit, even 5mm. He gave up the second diving. Your comfort is the primary factor. What are you diving for? It is fun, isn't it?

jbliesath:
I'll definitely do that! I have a ScubaPro Knighthawk and I think it has 45-50lbs of lift, so I should be okay with that. The dive con told me that I should lighten up, the more I dive. But it kind of made me angry that they attribute my difficulty with my bouancy to being inept in the pool. Everyone else was wearing either no wetsuit or a 3mil. I don't know what they are going to do at the quarry this weekend, because it's probably in the sixty's now. Should be interesting....

I wasn't trying to whack anyone in the head about the ten percent + 5lbs. Obviously, it works for many people. I started with that and looked like a harpooned whale in the pool. :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Jack

Thanks to all for your input. I have gotten more useful information off of these forums, than I have in my dive classes. Before anyone smacks me for discrediting certification agencies, I'm just saying that I'm a pragmatic diver. I want to spend the most time in useful skills, that will help me be a better diver. IMO, the sooner I get my bouancy sorted out, the more I will be able to concentrate on honing my skills, and enjoying diving. Not to mention, being a better dive partner.

Hoosier, your comments are right on. If you are freezing your buns off, how are you going to pay attention and concentrate on your skills. I definitely upset the instructor, not intentionally, but I'm going to be a happy duck at Dutch Springs! :D

Jack

Looks like you have the right frame of mind. Don't worry about the other skills right now, just get certified. That is all that the instructor is going to be focusing on so do the same. The rest will come with time. I have seen students want to work on their weight, do their skills and try and get horizontal all in 4 dives, it isn't going to happen.
I just did my 25th dive a couple of weeks ago with Hoosier and I was horizontal in the water. I know I still have a few things to work on and they will all come with time and more dives.
If it wasn't for this board I wouldn't be the diver that I am today. When I talk about getting horizontal in the water everyone local looks at me like I am nuts. After I explain what I am talking about they are all amazed that it can be done without moving through the water.

BTW, Redcash02, sorry for the hijack.

RedCash02:
Well you'll need less than what they're telling me since a one piece has less neoprene and the plate will also add to your negative bouyancy.

If you ever want to dive on Lake Erie let me know. I'm here in Cleveland and we have a local charter that goes out almost every weekend.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom