7mm wetsuit suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

The Henderson Thermoprene Pro is a fine suit, but if I was looking for a cold-water suit, the Henderson Aqua-lock would be a better choice as it has wrist and ankle seals. Their 8/7 semi-dry would be even better, but more expensive. We use Henderson suits at my work and are very happy with them and their customer support.

Jackie

Hi,

The Henderson Thermoprene Pro is a fine suit, but if I was looking for a cold-water suit, the Henderson Aqua-lock would be a better choice as it has wrist and ankle seals. Their 8/7 semi-dry would be even better, but more expensive. We use Henderson suits at my work and are very happy with them and their customer support.

Jackie

I *think* Henderson claims that their Thermaxx (w/Fire Fleece) wetsuits are their warmest.

I don't know about any of the Hendersons (though I suspect that the Thermaxx suits do have seals), but the ScubaPro EverFlex and Bare Reactive suits have seals at the wrists, ankles, and neck, and have spine pads to seal behind the zipper.

I read this somewhere not too long and really like it (quoted as best I can from memory): "In Norway, there is no cold water. Only the right exposure protection."

i have a 3mm henderson thermaxx. extremely comfortable. you just need to be careful when handling the suit because of the special lining. dont let it get near any velcro. if you can find the right size in a 7mm i am sure it woud be a great suit.

when it comes to diving cold water in a wet suit, you have to find one that fits properly. that is key. good luck.

btw i also own a bare 5/4mm semi dry velocity wet suit. i think over all bare sizing is better for most people.

I will be diving in cold (60 degree) water, only a 2 hour drive from home. I have a 3 mm Akona for gulf dives that I purchased at my local dive shop, but living 12 hours from the ocean makes those dives occasional.
We only have one dive shop, the only 7mm available there is $850, which is double my budget. I understand spending more money on a gear is usually a must for quality, but according to the comments on here I can purchase a good one for half of that. Thank you all for your input! I’m leaning towards the Bare Evoke, seeing as the Henderson TherMAXX is not available anywhere near me.
I have worn a regular 7mm in the 60 water, but still get cold. I think a semi- dry may be the way to go.

I will be diving in cold (60 degree) water, only a 2 hour drive from home. I have a 3 mm Akona for gulf dives that I purchased at my local dive shop, but living 12 hours from the ocean makes those dives occasional.
We only have one dive shop, the only 7mm available there is $850, which is double my budget. I understand spending more money on a gear is usually a must for quality, but according to the comments on here I can purchase a good one for half of that. Thank you all for your input! I’m leaning towards the Bare Evoke, seeing as the Henderson TherMAXX is not available anywhere near me.
I have worn a regular 7mm in the 60 water, but still get cold. I think a semi- dry may be the way to go.
If you get cold in a 7 mil then an 8/7 semidry with built in hood will be much warmer and better for you. there are also brands with 9/7 semidry.

Order online for sales and best pricing and just return for better fitting. In your situation thats what id do

Just remember, not all wetsuits are created equal. If you were cold in a 7mm, that might mean you need to step up to a semi-dry or dry suit. But, it might just mean you need to try a 7mm that fits you better, has better seals, and/or has better seam construction.

A good-fitting and good quality 7mm with a separate hood MIGHT even be warmer than a semi-dry, if the 7mm fits well and the semi-dry doesn't.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not pushing in either direction. I'm just trying to make sure the OP has all the relevant info to consider while making a decision.

For that matter, I can look back to when I did my OW certification. It was in November, in a cold local quarry. I was in a rental 7mm and whatever hood I could find in the bag they put out for us that sort of fit. And 3mm booties. I don't think we went deeper than 20 or maybe 25 feet. I was cold! But, now I can wear a 7mm and a hood in the same water temperature and be very comfortable. The differences are that now I have a good quality wetsuit that fits me well, a good hood that fits me well, warmer booties, and I have 3mm gloves that I would wear. A hood (obviously) and gloves make a big difference - to me, anyway.

Also, I have learned that I often feel a little cold when I first get in, but then my suit gradually floods, the water inside warms up, and then I'm comfortable. If I got out after a relatively short time, I would probably think I needed more exposure protection for whatever water temp I was in. And in reality, just giving it a little time is all it takes. Just something else for the OP to think about when evaluating the experience they have now and deciding what to do next.

I love my Pinnacle 7mm semi dry. Very warm and has kept me fairly comfy down to 40F.

I couple that wirth a 3/5mm hooded vest. 10mm over the body core.

I'm seeing Henderson mentioned quite a bit in this thread! Here's a vote for an Aqualung suit -- I bought the SolAfx a few months ago and love it. It's difficult to get cold in this suit based on my experience so far. For reference, I dive in Monterey, CA where my dives have ranged from 52-55F. When I dove in San Diego last weekend, I hit up to 125ft at 51F with no trouble at all. I got it for about $550 in a LDS. A bit cheaper than what you're seeing at your shop. You can buy directly from Aqualung or probably pick it up with third party. Worth every penny.

Everyone is different - I dive a Bare Velocity 7mm with a 5/3 Neosport hooded vest down to the low 50s. The hooded vest is key -- that really helps more than just a regular hood.

Everyone is different ... The hooded vest is key -- that really helps more than just a regular hood.

100% on both points. Everyone is different -- all the advice we give will only matter so much since it will apply to you differently than it would to the next person. That said, when I was renting, the hooded vest was unbearable for me. I was constantly pulling at my neck and could barely concentrate on much else until I got in the water. In the water it wasn't as bad, but never again. Integrated hood or bust for me

Back
Top Bottom