7mm wetsuit and hood question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both a 7mm Farmer John with separate hood and a 9/7/6mm with integrated hood. My wife had the 7mm Farmer Jane with hooded vest - kept her very warm.

I only use the 1 piece integrated hood now because it is more comfortable. The dive shop showed me how to take it on and off, so it is not too bad. It is hard to let water in to cool off.

The separate hood was much easier when it was hot or when I am on the boat. My integrated hood needs to be unzipped and my arms out to hang back (hood and arms) when walking around in the sun.

FWIW, I have a Henderson goldcore 7mm semidry with integrated hood. I always dive with a hood regardless of how warm the water is. The integrated hood will let less water in assuming it is a good fit but like others have said they are a pain to donn and doff. If possible try one on at an LDS before purchasing there is a big difference in constriction between what you now have and a 7mm for sure. I have dove mine only a few times because I really do not like being that restricted. It is a great fitting suit it is just 7mm is thick so no way around it. I went dry and even though I have only been in it a few times I really like the extra flexability it gives over the 7mm. This suit is going to go in the stuff I bought that I no longer use section of my dive gear area. You never know I may want to use it but I doubt it. Just some thoughts from some one who has been there and done that. Good Luck!

Regards

While I understand the comments above, I have to say that I really like my Aqualung Solafex suit. I normally can't stand anything around my neck, either.

I think the key is that this suit is the best fitting suit I've ever had on. It's easier to get on and off than any other suit I've owned or tried, with the possible exception of my old O'Neil Animal Skin surf suit.

At the end of any dive that I feel a bit hot, I can peel the hood off quite easily.

This past winter, I was very glad to have the 8/7 neo with the hood when I was looking at the high fourties in La Jolla Canyon.

Just my experience.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. My decision will certainly be to go with the separate hood. Now comes the fun part: deciding which suit!

Which suit? You'll just have to try them out. The one that gives you the best fit wins. I find that Bare Large Tall size wetsuits fits me best compared to other brands I have tried. I find the look of their suits OK.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom