7mm wetsuit and hood question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TFC187

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all. I am new to diving with 32 total dives thus far. I have a 1mm Akona which worked great on a recent trip to Roatan. It has also been adequate in several quarries in the Indiana/Illinois region as long as I stay above 25ft during the summer.

My apologies if this has been posted before. I am looking to purchase a 7mm suit but I would like to know the pros and cons of purchasing a suit that already has an integrated (attached) hood vs. buying a suit and a separate hood. or are there any major differences?

Tim

Well, a hood integrated wetsuit tends to keep most people warmer then just putting on a hood... Personally I think the hood integrated wetsuits/drysuits are a pain in the rear, I'd prefer to just put a hood on, or none at all. =)

I would recommend a separate hood unless your diving arctic conditions. Less hassle getting it on and you can pull it off at the end of the dive to cool down. Make sure you get a cold water style with a collar that goes inside your wetsuit.

Well, a hood integrated wetsuit tends to keep most people warmer then just putting on a hood... Personally I think the hood integrated wetsuits/drysuits are a pain in the rear, I'd prefer to just put a hood on, or none at all. =)

I'd have to agree! Hood integrated suits can be laborous to get into in. By the time I'm all done, I'm hot, sweaty and out of breath (granted I'm outta shape, but I've seen even some very fit people sweaty and struggling with them). So I personally prefer the seperate hood and will glady take being a few degrees cooler.

Worse than getting into them, hooded fullsuits can be a nightmare to get out of. I would caution anyone buying a hooded fullsuit to make sure and try it on, and be certain then can get it off without having to contort themselves.

As others have suggested go with something like a regular fullsuit and a hood, or possibly a hooded vest that you can wear underneath the fullsuit for added warmth.

I'd have to agree! Hood integrated suits can be laborous to get into in. By the time I'm all done, I'm hot, sweaty and out of breath (granted I'm outta shape, but I've seen even some very fit people sweaty and struggling with them). So I personally prefer the seperate hood and will glady take being a few degrees cooler.

another vote for seperate hood. There are times where the 7mm suit will be just right with no hood, and I would not want to wear the darn thing if I did not have to. I hate wearing hoods, although 90% of my diving so far has been with them. If I can get away without needing to wear it I will. I have never put one on so I cannot personally say how hard it would be to get in or out of one, but I would imagine it would be pretty tough.

Phil

Are you guys talking more about a back zip 7mm with integrated hood? Because I had a two piece 7mm and the jumper was a front zip with the zipper going up the chin. This suit kept me very warm even in 47 degree water and was no harder to put on then regular 7 mm. Granted as with all 7mm it was good excersise just to get it on. And let me rephrase part of my above statement...It kept me warm enough to dive in 47 degree water.

Last edited:
I have a 7mm that came with a separate hood, but I got a hooded undervest and wearing that is more comfortable and warmer than just the 7mm with a hood. The separate hood is a pain to put on sometimes, you have to spend a bit of time tucking it into your wetsuit and then it comes lose under water sometimes so you get cold water around your neck.

So yea I think skip the 7mm with a hood attacted and get a 7mm and a hooded undervest. :)

I have never worn a hood integrated suit.. but I did try on a vest/hood combo... over all I decided as for comfort I was better of with a seperate hood. Now thinking about it, I am quite glad I went this route as there have been times where i have needed a wetsuit, but NOT a hood.. was just too darned hot! Being able to have more options I think is a good idea. I have 2 pair of gloves (different thicknesses) and two different hoods now.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. My decision will certainly be to go with the separate hood. Now comes the fun part: deciding which suit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom