7mm suit in 80 degree water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone here wear or knows someone who wears a 7mm suit in 80 degree water? I wore a 7mm in 73 degree water last month and it was perfect, I get cold very easily... i'm wondering if there is anyone else who prefers an unusually thick wetsuit for the temp...

Depending on activity level, for an hour plus in 80 deg water, I'm either in my trunks, or in a 3mm shorty. Nothing more or I'd overheat.

Ken

Does anyone here wear or knows someone who wears a 7mm suit in 80 degree water? I wore a 7mm in 73 degree water last month and it was perfect, I get cold very easily... i'm wondering if there is anyone else who prefers an unusually thick wetsuit for the temp...

It's not common but there are divers who are not cold tolerant.

Before wearing something as heavy a 7mm is tropical water you wan to make sure that they have attained the ultimate fit in a lighter suit. One of the joys of warm water diving is having less neoprene buoyancy to manage. A heavy wetsuit robs you of that joy.

Many times a lesser suit can be worn if something like a hooded vest is added.

In any case you are better of being buoyant than cold.

Pete

My wife wears a 7mm and a hood in water above 80. On Bonaire we would get out of the water and she would peel down the top half until we got back in the water.

She will be switching to a dry suit soon

I freeze pretty easy in our "warm" Hawaiian waters, I am now up to wearing a Mysterioso shirt, 3mm fullsuit, gloves, and boots and I still get a bit chilly. I am about to make the jump to drysuit as I travel to places with cold water and wetsuits are just never enough for me, period.

Another thing to look at is how you layer your suits to give you the best seal. I put my Mysterioso shirt on first, then my gloves, then the suit on up top, then the boots with the legs tucked into them. It's the best seal I've found so far.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom