7mm suit in 80 degree water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone here wear or knows someone who wears a 7mm suit in 80 degree water? I wore a 7mm in 73 degree water last month and it was perfect, I get cold very easily... i'm wondering if there is anyone else who prefers an unusually thick wetsuit for the temp...

I would think that would be a little overkill??..---@ least for me it would be....Example:last week in CZM, water temp of 79, I wore skins under my 2mm shortie with a 2 mm hooded vest in between....but always remember, to each his own....

EDIT: all dives were 1hr 15+ minutes long except for Maracaibo which was only 58 minutes(dove with 120 steels)

in 80 degree water I'm wearing nothing but swimming trunks, even with hour + bottom times. To each their own though I guess...

In 81 degree water I was wearing my 3mm shorty, after about 3 weeks of two dives per day I was getting a touch chilled when I did an evening swim. Never got chilled enough to use my 7mm vest at any point.

Hope this helps.

I've heard that some Cozumel DMs wear 7mm wetsuits.

If you spend enough time in 80°F water, you're going to get cold. 5 hour-long dives per day just might do it. When I'm drift-diving in Cozumel, I know that I do very little kicking; I just hover and go with the flow. It's surprisingly easy to get cold. :D

Exposure protection is very much an individual thing. I wear my drysuit year-round here in San Diego...with the exception of a handful of dives in the middle of summer.

I dive in my Drysuit all the time. Its personal preference differnct people get colder quicker then others. How ever you feel comfortable

My wife uses a 7mm and wears a beanie in 80 degree water and still gets cold by the end of a 60 -70 minute dive. Use whatever environmental protection you personally need to make yourself comfortable. It doesn't matter what anyone else uses.

80 degree water usually means warm air temperature. A 7mm suit on a 80+ degree day can roast a diver that does much activity on the surface.

My wife wore a 7mm wetsuit while diving in 80F degree water in Cozumel during the winter. Windy surface conditions left everyone else cold except for her. I was diving in a 3mm wetsuit as was everyone else.

80 degree water usually means warm air temperature. A 7mm suit on a 80+ degree day can roast a diver that does much activity on the surface.
I think that warm topside air temperature could very easily be handled. A diver wearing a 7mm wetsuit in Cozumel can simply take off the wetsuit during the surface interval. While in the water, divers spend very little time at the surface due to the ever-present current.

You make a good point, though. Divers opting for a thick wetsuit in those conditions should be very efficient about getting their gear on and getting into the water quickly. Heat exhaustion is a real possibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom