7mm One Piece vs Farmer John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ca_Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Been reading about wetsuits and looking at different sites and have a few questions.

First offer I'm looking fora suit for diving in Monterey and the Channel Islands so a 6.5 - 7 mm is the only way to go. All the dives I've done (which isn't very many) were with Farmer John suits.

Is there a big difference in the one piece vs the farmer john? Will one keep you warmer than the other?

I saw the Ralf tech Storm one piece and have to say I like the way it looks. I also like the Aqua Lung Iceland Comfort.

I'd love to try drysuits but I don't have the training or the money to afford a dry suit. Besides since I don't have any gear now I'd like to start with the basics and work my way up from there.

ETA: What are some of the qualities / features I should be looking for in a good quality suit?

Also If my budget is say $300 for a wetsuit am I kidding myself to think I can get a good quality suit for that?

Some people like the extra neoprene on the torso with the farmer john, however I started out with the farmer john and did not like the restriction of the double layer. When I get around to getting a new 7mm I will be getting a one piece back zip. The most important thing for your suit is fit. Contrary to what many people say (SB members can back me up on this), the least amount of water in your suit the better. You can get a high quality suit in the $200 range. The suit that BrianS linked is a great choice for your area. Bare suits come in many different sizes (not just your standard S-XXL) for almost any body type. I recently bought a Bare 3MM and it fits like a glove. The wrist, neck, and ankle seals are effective against water transfer. Just make sure for that cold Monterey diving that you dont go cheap on the hood!

I've heard some nice things about that Pinnacle Semi-Dry. Just understand that semi-dry still equals wet! :)

PerroneFord:
I've heard some nice things about that Pinnacle Semi-Dry. Just understand that semi-dry still equals wet! :)

I definately don't mind being wet as long as I'm warm. Being wet is part of the fun right? :D

I have the Bare Arctic Fullsuit, with the Bare 7mm Arctic hooded vest. Added Bare 6mm Ice Boots. Total was $299 at LP.

My wetsuit is a 7mil Tilos one piece with attached hood $270 at scuba.com (picture is from their site). Excellent suit, I definitely prefer it to the farmer john styles I have tried out. Lots of stretch and very warm. The only time I have been really cold with it on was in Lake Erie at depths over 90 feet and temperatures below 45f.

At that depth/temp I realized a drysuit would be a good investment. A good 7mil is still tolerable, but you definitely are aware of the cold.

FYI - 5mil gloves make a HUGE difference over 3mil gloves for your overall warmth if you are diving deep in cold water. Even with a good suit on, your whole body will feel cold if your hands are frozen (same goes for hood).

As mentioned earlier Divetank.com has great prices on wet and drysuits. You'd be suprised at how affordable their drysuits are.

Ca_Ghost:
Been reading about wetsuits and looking at different sites and have a few questions.

First offer I'm looking fora suit for diving in Monterey and the Channel Islands so a 6.5 - 7 mm is the only way to go. All the dives I've done (which isn't very many) were with Farmer John suits.

Is there a big difference in the one piece vs the farmer john? Will one keep you warmer than the other?

Don't worry much about the brand name. "Fit is everything". Find one that fits. I like the one piece suits and you can where a hooded vest under or even a hooded shorty under. So if you want two layers of material over the torso you can have that. The one piece will let in less water. Down here in So. cal. over half the divers use Body Glove suits. Quality is very good and they go on sale now and then for about $150. If you live in California don't pay "Internet prices" for a wetsuit (or a tank) Is there a Sports Chalet near you? They had the suits on sale for $149 last I looked Normally abit over $200. Fr your area I'd look at a good hooded vest, gloves and boots and you will be OK down to about 51F as long as you don't let yourself get chilled between dives

About "hyper stretch" and the like. It is easy to make "ultra-stretch rubber" simply add more air to the mix and less rubber. To make a harder suit use less air. Softer rubber fits better but it also compress more at depth and is not as warm and will nt last as long. So it's a compromise.

I have a bud with the Tilos and it's hard to beat value wise.
Steeles Discount Scuba (510-655-4344) in Oakland normally has those in stock.
They are the local kings of discount pricing.
Good luck to ya.
Andy

I like to start with a full suit. I have a BARE Arctic 7mm and 5/4 Velocity. That I choose from along with a bodyglove 3/2mm.

Then I can add a beanie, a 3/5 hooded vest worn under or a 7mm hooded step-in sleeveless shortie worn over, 2 more BARE items.

I mix and match the suits and vests every which way. The 7mm combo is esentially the same protection as a John/Jane set except that I have 2 full layers in the shoulder where the John is usually only a strap for the bottoms. I prefer to have one continuous membrane covering my body such as a full suit provides. I can don all of it without assistance.

By not having the hood as part of the full suit I have flexibility in head protection selection.

I have been diving comfortably so far in water ranging from 44F to 76F. I hope to travel to warmer waters and will be diving colder water here soon. Probably going dry next year.

Don't forget the 3 most important things in selecting your suit, fit, fit and fit. It should fit like a glove. Slight compression is a good thing (it will probably loosen with use) but it must not interfere with your breathing. If it helps you exhale that's a red flag. You should have full range of arm motion and be able to bend over as well as you do in street clothes. If your proportions do not allow for this in an off the rack suit there are plenty of fine custom options available.

Water is not an insulator it conducts heat from your body 25 times faster than air. Your body tolerates the water that enters your suit. The suits job is to minimized the exchange or flushing of that water in the suit which is heated by your body. The suit via neoprene rubber, especially the gas bubbles contained there-in provide the insulation component, this component will diminish with compression as you dive deeper. As the suit ages some of this gas and the warmth it provides will be lost. If anything the suit will feel looser due to thinning/flattening as it compresses with depth. A too loose suit can pucker into folds and deliver welts from suit squeeze.

That's probably more than you wanted to know but I was on a roll.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom