7mm One Piece vs Farmer John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, I would go with a good 7mil over a farmer jhon, there comparable in warmth but the one piece suites are alot more flexible, and you don't need as much weight. I live in Canada, and Im still diving into december, alot of people are still using good 7mils as well as dry suits. My last dive we dove for about 30min and the temp was 42degrees. A cheating way of staying warm is pre-loading your suit with warm water as it lessens the initail shock. While I was not perfectly comfortable I stayed in jsut as long as other guys diving dry. I would suggest the bare SGS 7mil its a nice strechy suit with a good lining too ..

It more depends on how cold the water is and your tolerence to cold. For colder water a farmer jon will definitely keep you warmer. The next best thing would be a one piece with a vested hood.

Fit is the most important feature, to large and water will exchange easier keeping you cold to small and bad blood circulation will keep you cold. I dive a farmer jon in 45 degree water with no problem.

I also really like a one-piece. My wife dove a farmer john, and then switched to a one piece. She likes the one piece much better. I also agree that a good fitting wetsuit make all the difference. I dive an Akona 7mm (in MN) and it does fine. It still gets a little chilly in 40 degree water, but other than that it's great. I put a hooded vest over the top of it which gives me a little extra layer plus stops the water from going down the neck like a normal hood. We bought our suits online, and saved a ton of cash! Check out www.scubatoys.com they usually have great deals!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom