7mm Farmer John vs 8/7 semi dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

woody143

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking for opinions, past experience and feedback. I will be diving in New Jersey waters (50-75F) Is the farmer john going to be over kill since it will in essence be providing 14mm core warmth? I've really been looking primarily at the Henderson line.

Its a tough comparison at times. Many 7+7 FJ+jacket combos are cheap, they are thick which should be warmer, but are not made as water tight (poor fit, lots of places for cold water to circulate) and result in an overly buoyant solution. I think they are best used when you need cheap thermal protection and don't mind carrying extra lead.

On the other hand, jump suits (including semi-drys) had less thickness, but good quality ones make up for it with better seals. If they fit right and seal decent, I think they are just as good with less buoyancy. If they are cheap (like mine), then under 55 you may get cold.

I would lean toward the good quality jump suit, you can always add a hooded vest later if you really feel a need to add neoprene to your core.

In my hull cleaning business, I encounter water temps that range from 50° to 72°. December thru March I dive in a drysuit. The rest of the year I dive wet. I have my 7mm jons custom made and wear a variety of tops over it (depending on water temp), the thickest being 7mm and it keeps me pretty warm . I am quite comfortable with this much rubber on, although it does mean I have to load up with lead. But being as most of my work is within 10' of the surface, I am used to diving heavy.

In the transitional periods when it is starting to get cool or just starting to warm up, I'll wear my Mares Isotherm semi-dry. When new, it was virtually a drysuit. Now that it has a couple of seasons on it- not so much. But it is still warmer than the jon/jacket combo. This particular suit is really snug on me across the shoulders, so it's not the most comfortable suit I own. Otherwise I would wear it longer. Overall I like the jon because it's easy to put something thinner over it as the weather warms up. And, since I am in my suit 6 or 7 hours a day, I need to be able to strip down to just the jon between boats to stay comfortable. But if I were looking for a wetsuit for recreational diving and had your choice to make, I think I'd go with the semi-dry.

I learned in a 7 mill farmer john, then switched to a 5 mill jumpsuit with a 3 mill hooded vest over the top. Warmth wise, these were about the same, but the 5 mill was much more flexible and needed less lead. Fit is at least as important as thickness, if it leaks, you will be cold. Both suits fit well at the time, but I have since changed. :depressed:

Last year I purchased a Aqualung Solafx 8/7mm. I have had this suit in 53 degree water and was not chilled at all, and I tend to chill easily. I think it would be comfortable down to 50 degrees or so. It was a bit warm in 70+ degree water and I found myself pulling the neck seal to flood the suite once in awhile to keep from overheating. This suite is very stretchy and keeps a snug fit everywhere compared to the other suites I tried on.

The only drawback I have found is the suit is VERY buoyant and takes 26 lbs of lead to sink. It is not the cheapest suit, but worth the cost because it fit me well.

I would love to, but unfortunately I have a tight budget.

There are alot og good deal floating around on used drysuits in good condition in the 500 range.
I have never actually dove wet other then in the pool for training, I bought a drysuit from day one. We dive primarilly at Dutch Springs for now but water temp early in the season is usually 40's and even in the summer below 60' doesn't get too much warmer then that. I have not been in the ocean yet so can't say about the temp's I have experinced there. But people go wet all the time depends on individual.

To answer the original question. I don't think it is overkill, but you will have to watch out for overheating on a sunny day once summer gets here. I set up the gear, don the suit then jump in to cool down before I drag everything down to the water. Boat dives no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom