7mm between Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enderjs

Registered
Reaction score
Sup guys,

In August I am doing a liveaboard in san diego. I just bought the O'neill 7mm j-type with attached hood for it, and i was wondering what do you do inbetween dives. I tried it on last night and it fits perfect but danm is that thing hard to get on, took me atleast 5 minutes. Is that normal for a 7mm? And I started thinking i am not going to want to take this thing off when i get out of the water. but will i over heat when i am doing my surface interval. probably a non-issue but i am just curious. Thanks

Hi,

I dive with a 2 piece 7 mm suit all the time, if you leave it on, you will get overheated for sure. I take my hood and top layer off, and then unhook my farmer john and pull it down to my waist. That keeps me cool enough until I dive again, and then it is only half the work to get dressed again. I would not take it all off or you will be cursing at it and lose a bunch of energy getting redressed. And yes, it is a pain to get dressed in a 7mm

I'm with scibajenn81. Take off any extra layers - I use a hood/vest under a full suit. Pull down the suit to my waist. Take off the vest. It's a lot cooler and you don't have to put it all back on. For me the worst part is always getting the suit past my wide hips, so the fewer times I do that, the better.

Just go dry....the wetsuit stuff is fer the birds...go diving in the rain in 50 degree water and never shiver....zip out between dives...all comfy....Wetsuits bah....
oh ok Since you have a wetsuit...many use lycra skins and or rash guards..they help the suit slide on....Hope that helps HD

500 PSI makes a spray silicone lubricant that makes it a lot easier to get don and doff wetsuits. Or, you can use spray KY (if you can find one that isn't scented and doesn't warm/tingle you!) KY is water soluable and you can use it on dry suit seals as well.

Thanks guys for the responses, guess I have nothing to worry about. Its going to be very entertaining to watch 30 people in a small area try to put there 7mm wetsuits on. Full contact Scuba diving :)

lmao! warm and tingly.. i can just immage the looks i would get on a boat full of guys when i pull out the KY and head off to an area to change :D "Man, he really enjoys dive a little too much!"

I also wear a 7mm with an attached hood in California waters. I zip it off and wear it down to my waist. When I'm ready to jump back in, I just get my arms through the sleeves and zip it up! You're ready to go!

I've had the O'Neill J Type with the Hood for a year and a half now and it's a good suit but can be a pain at times. It is very heavy when wet. It's almost a workout just to rinse it and hang it up. I usually just pull the hood back in between dives, you have 12mm over your torso, so don't expect to freeze, lol. If there's extended time inbetween dives I take unzip the top part and let it hang, but until you have some dives the arms stick out and such get in the way. As far as a multiday, seriously don't expect the suit to dry out overnight unless you have a heating room, there's just too much suit there. While I like the suit I won't buy another one like it. Hope you have fun.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom