7 mm wetsuit that is flexible enough to don...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dano,

Years ago I had an instructor who always wore a Cressi free diving suit. Although the suit took a little effort to get on, he never appeared to get cold and he always recommended that suit.

Would your 7mm Yamamoto wetsuit be noticeably warmer than a conventional closed cell 7mm suit? I'd be diving in mid-50° water. What about durability where the BP straps go over the shoulders?

Dano,

Years ago I had an instructor who always wore a Cressi free diving suit. Although the suit took a little effort to get on, he never appeared to get cold and he always recommended that suit.

Would your 7mm Yamamoto wetsuit be noticeably warmer than a conventional closed cell 7mm suit? I'd be diving in mid-50° water. What about durability where the BP straps go over the shoulders?

In general, we feel that a 5 mm freedive suit (with FJ pants, hooded jacket, no zippers, smooth rubber interior) is about as warm as most 7mm "scuba" suits that use a hood that tucks in, zippers that will leak some water.

The 7 mm MAKO freedive suit should be warmer than a quality scuba suit of similar thickness. It sounds like your instructor figured this out!

As for harness straps and wear on the suit, our freedive suits have a nylon exterior, so the issue with external wear should be no different than a typical scuba suit.

Something I probably should have mentioned...Another reason why a freedive suit is more comfortable and flexible - has to go with the neoprene. Most all "scuba" suits have a nylon layer on the inside and outside ( the neoprene is sandwiched inside two layers). The nylon itself reduces the flexibility of the suit to some extent - so a freedive suit which has a liner only on the outside (where it is most beneficial for abrasion resistance) will be more flexible than a double lined suit.

Also, these camo suits are marketed to hunters and spearos - divers who will be reaching into holes and working on fish, lobster, abalone etc. so we include knee pads and the suit overall is designed for an active diver.

For mid 50's, the 7 mm suit should be more than warm enough.

Try on a AquaLung Aqua Flex. Warmest and most comfortable/easy to get on and off I've ever had. Super features like kidney pads and robust zipper dam. No stitching at wrist or ankle so great flex there. I often find that when I take off my suit that my speedo is dry, unless I pee in the suit. Wash it in my front load washer on gentle cycle and air dry, and it looks like new. Beats my Henderson 7mm for ease, warmth, comfort. Well worth the price.
Just bought it and I am very happy. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom