7' hose with single AL80 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving 7 feet hose for singles is pretty common.

You can simply tuck the hose under your waist strap. What I did before getting a canister was attaching a waist pocket at where the canister would be and tuck run the hose under it.

I route my hose under my dive knife since I don't have a canister either. It's kinda a pain, and I have to monkey with it every dive to get it just right. The LDS own in Hilo told me I was going to kill myself with my long hose, and grabbed on it and tried to show me his wisdom, but nothing happened. He still thinks I'm going to die because of my neck bungee.

jeckyll:
Just as an aside:On a single, I'm not sure how important routing the Long hose off the bottom port is.Bjorn

It is the "way".

Attachments

• singlefront.jpg
    singlefront.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 77
I'll second (or third) stowing under the knife sheath if you don't have a can light. I do this, and it works great for me. Easy to deploy and stow, and keeps the hose nice and snug against the body.

LG Diver:
I'll second (or third) stowing under the knife sheath

Sorry but that will not work for me. My little DIR knife is worn in the front just left of center.

MBH:
It is the "way".

Just because one website show the routing off the bottom, does not mean it is _the_ way.

Try to not get too attached to the equipment configuration, or otherwise one day GUE HQ will tell you to swap your pockets contents and you'll be lost forever

:rofl3:

Edit: Ok I thought I'd expand. Last week, Dan Mackay was quite clear on what parts of our equipment config mattered and why (I won't list all that here, go take the course). I assure you, routing of the first stage on a single didn't make the list. On doubles, _which_ post had _what_ routing off it was important of course!

If you're going to look anywhere for "the way" I'd suggest http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html. Take a close look at some of the pictures and you'll see singles with routing either way :)
Just because you have your single rigged to route off the bottom, or off the side, doesn't mean you'll die and look like a dork either way :D

Is there any problem with holding the hose behind a reel on a right forward hip D-ring to keep streamlined. I don't subscribe to DIR, GUE or any of that stuff. Just a guy that dives.

I have gone away from this routing since the backup hose tends to route directly in front of the valve wheel where it comes out the first stage. I have switched to a side port instead.

In fact, a few years ago, some GUE instructors discouraged the routing you have pictured.

MBH:
It is the "way".

The Chad:
Is there any problem with holding the hose behind a reel on a right forward hip D-ring to keep streamlined. I don't subscribe to DIR, GUE or any of that stuff. Just a guy that dives.
Since this is the DIR forum, the answer you'll get is a DIR answer.

Yes, there is a problem. If you are bringing a reel aren't you planning to use it? So if you are using a reel to hold your hose in place won't the hose come loose when you unclip the reel? Even if you are planning to never unclip the reel and just use it as a hose holder, it's a bad choice. The point of the long hose is to donate it to somebody else. Anything that can interfere with the smooth deployment of the long hose is something to avoid. If you route the long hose under a reel dangling down and flopping around on a clip from the d-ring, it increases the chances of tangling the hose in the reel or the clip. Put the reel on the left side and keep the right side as clear of obstructions as possible.

And I'm not even sure what a "right forward hip D-ring" is as there is no right hip d-ring on a conventional DIR rig.

But if you want to handle things the way you suggest, it's totally up to you. It's just not DIR.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom