7' Hose Routing wo/ Canister?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many different ways.

Small drill bit.drill close together. Then angle till they connect....
Table saw very carefully.
Jig saw carefully.
Etc
Finish and fit with hack saw blade or file

Not a skill saw unless you want to loose fingers.

I am curious. How would you go about cutting the slot so that there is still pvc above the slot? Would you drill a hole big enough for a small blade to fit through and then just cut down?

I have a drill press, so I will drill a series of holes and then use a jig saw and file to clean the edges. From what I can see, the sticks are 6" long, with the 2" slot cut close to the top. Please refer to my highly technical diagram below. :D

------------------------------------
| oooooo |
------------------------------------

I made one for a colleague with a section of stiff hose I had, then a short length of soft webbing I doubled over and cable tied at the top and bottom to create a loop to slide on the belt. Took minutes, works well as a demo on why its better than tucking under a belt and free from bits around.

Rich

What I always do is just use a five foot hose for OW dives. It routs the same, under the right arm, across the body, up over left shoulder, behind head. But because it's shorter it just goes straight across your chest. Much neater, and of course you don't need 7ft of hose to share air in OW. You still get the comfort of the long hose both in terms of sharing and your own use.

On trips to Mexico where I'm doing both cave dives on the mainland and reef dives in cozumel, I just use the same regs but swap out the 7ft hose for a 5 ft, put everything on one 1st stage and go. Easy. The dive op in Coz that I've been going with for years now has convertible valves so DIN works fine.

There's really no reason to use a 7ft hose in OW. This is an argument I have with other long hose users all the time, but I'm right and they're wrong! :D

I recently completed 5 days of IANTD Essentials and Cavern training for my first foray into tech diving. I loved the doubles and the gear configuration in general. The 7' hose felt great and I liked how manageable it was. I routed the 7' hose under the canister of my primary light and felt comfortable removing it for gas sharing drills and replacing it after the drill ended. I would like to continue to dive with the 7' hose, even when I dive recreationally. I do not own a canister light and likely would not wear it anyway when diving in vacation spots such as Cozumel.

It seems I have two choices. Either tuck some of the hose under the belt of my backplate on my right side or move the pocket I have which is currently on the left side of my waistbelt over to my right and tuck the hose under that.

Are there options I am overlooking? What suggestions do you have?

Rec long hose is usually 5 feet instead of 7, which eliminates the extra loop normally put under the canister.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom