7' Hose Routing wo/ Canister?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan G

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently completed 5 days of IANTD Essentials and Cavern training for my first foray into tech diving. I loved the doubles and the gear configuration in general. The 7' hose felt great and I liked how manageable it was. I routed the 7' hose under the canister of my primary light and felt comfortable removing it for gas sharing drills and replacing it after the drill ended. I would like to continue to dive with the 7' hose, even when I dive recreationally. I do not own a canister light and likely would not wear it anyway when diving in vacation spots such as Cozumel.

It seems I have two choices. Either tuck some of the hose under the belt of my backplate on my right side or move the pocket I have which is currently on the left side of my waistbelt over to my right and tuck the hose under that.

Are there options I am overlooking? What suggestions do you have?

I also prefer to dive a long hose, even when doing single tank dives. I just tuck my hose in the waist band. With nothing to catch on, it will occasionally come out. I just got in the habit of checking and retucking if needed. You can do it by feel without stopping whatever it is that you're doing; it's really a non-issue. But, if you don't like that, here's another option, get an 8' hose instead of 7'. The extra length in the loop will pretty much keep it from popping out. I ended up with an 8' hose on my single-tank rig by chance (all the shop had that day) and I find it really does stay tucked better. Or you could just put a pocket or retainer on the right side, all viable options.

I have a waist band right pocket and use this as it would be a canister for the hose routing.
It works flawlessly.

I just tuck it into the waistband. Once in a while it pops out but for the most part it stays. Guess it depends on routing and your height.

One option is to put something on the webbing that can act as a retainer instead of the can light. That could be a dedicated retainer as mentioned above, or alternatively a pocket, or a knife,

The other option as mentioned is to tuck it in. If you opt for this, and have issues withit becoming un-tucked, try to slide the hose more to the right, towards your hip, rather than having it tucked in front of your belly. That should do the trick.

The final option of course is to always dive with the light :)

...It seems I have two choices. Either tuck some of the hose under the belt of my backplate on my right side or move the pocket I have which is currently on the left side of my waistbelt over to my right and tuck the hose under that.

The trick is to pull the hose as far right as possible under the harness, and then pull the loop down toward the back.

Another tip is to give yourself enough hose behind your neck to turn your head, otherwise it likely will pull out.

I use a rubber weight belt from Mako - I tuck my 7 foot hose in the belt. The belt is always secure and I always wear it - doubles or single configuration. Dont need a canister although I have one but dont always use it...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom