7.25" versus 8" tanks (new PST E Series)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, any large dia tank is going to give a problem on surface swims because the larger dia protrudes from the water and drives the diver under. It is not an issue of relative buoyancy.

I am 5'11", 200, former Mr Maryland. In the military, I dived Navy 90's (7.25) for years. They are at the practical limit of size for diving which involves a significant amount of swimming against current or otherwise. The LP tanks are a different matter. I do not like double 8" inch tanks. I gave several valid reasons including air consumption which is about 10% higher swimming with large doubles.

In my years hanging around gyms I've seen few women who did not have trouble replacing a 50 pound weight on the rack. They can do it but only with determined effort. The ability to carry a hundred pound set of tanks up flights of stairs is unusual. Some could do it with the set strapped on, I expect, especially since the younger generation are bigger and cheeseburger strong.

However, my objections have to do with space as well as weight. They take up a lot of room when stowage space is at a premium. They ride too high and create too much drag. They are too heavy on land for the air contained.

pescador775 once bubbled...
First of all, any large dia tank is going to give a problem on surface swims because the larger dia protrudes from the water and drives the diver under. It is not an issue of relative buoyancy.

I am 5'11", 200, former Mr Maryland. In the military, I dived Navy 90's (7.25) for years. They are at the practical limit of size for diving which involves a significant amount of swimming against current or otherwise. The LP tanks are a different matter. I do not like double 8" inch tanks. I gave several valid reasons including air consumption which is about 10% higher swimming with large doubles.

In my years hanging around gyms I've seen few women who did not have trouble replacing a 50 pound weight on the rack. They can do it but only with determined effort. The ability to carry a hundred pound set of tanks up flights of stairs is unusual. Some could do it with the set strapped on, I expect, especially since the younger generation are bigger and cheeseburger strong.

However, my objections have to do with space as well as weight. They take up a lot of room when stowage space is at a premium. They ride too high and create too much drag. They are too heavy on land for the air contained.

I really had no idea that 8" tanks were the work of the Devil :rolleyes: and that I was doing everything wrong.

You don't do a surface swim with the tanks out of the water, you swim on your back or have your rich buddy tow you with his Gavin

My air comsumption is the same whether using singles or doubles. I am not, in all honesty, into underwater marathons though.

And I'm sure Chickdiver, not that she realizes that, being a puny female she cannot dive heavy doubles, will immediately cease her cave diving and instruction. Why, she might fall on somebody =-)

As I've already said, I believe those of us who choose to dive with the horrid 8" tank beast, do not take into account surface storage and surface weight.

Oh, and if the tanks ride high, yer crotch strap's too loose. :bonk:

Phil

Pescador:

I find that I have to take exception with a couple of your statements, obviously, you are entitled to your opinion, however, I think a differing point of view should be presented.

I have spent quite a lot of time floating on the surface in double 104's, and I cant ell you that they do not, in any way, "drive the diver under". Now, your BC setup might cause this particular issue, but I don' think it's the tanks.

My gas consumption in doubles 104's is fantastic, both in the ocean and cave diving, in current and without it. For reference, I dive a TLS 350 drysuit, generally with 400G thinsulate under it, and usually have a couple 80's slung under my left arm (stage bottles) as well. I think most Florida cave divers would argue this issue with you as well.

I'd like to see the gyms you habg out in, I pusha lot of weight around, and I do not consider myself "serious" about it. Come to North Florida some time, and you will see lots and lots of women my size and smaller moving big bottles around all the time. For refernce, I am 31 and I have friends older as well as younger than myself who fit this profile.

Sorry to disagree so strenuosly, but I just dont think some of your arguements hold water.

Im working on my public image- you do not that my avatat is "Stitch", right??

chickdiver once bubbled...
Im working on my public image- you do not that my avatat is "Stitch", right??

chickdiver....let me know the next time you go to Peacock & I'll dive w/you. I liked "Stitch" :) While you're more advanced in cert. than I ( I will be doing my full cave w/Bill Rennaker in May), Orange Grove & Peacock 1 is still a nice cavern.

It will be a couple of weeks though. Rick is over hauling my Odins. While I don't dive dble. steel "YET", I am diving dble. Catalina 3300 Al. now & will be buying a set of PST E8-119 or E8-130s.

Foot Note :D

If anyone has looked @ my rig on my site.... I HAVE removed the hose protectors. :mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom