65# OMS Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver once bubbled...

You just can't convert some folks o-ring. And, you know, that bright red bungeed thing is real "purdy" :bonk:

MD
I ain't proselytizing for converts here...shoot, I could use some converting myself. These companies (Halcyon included) sell wings and have a vested interest in marketing their wings as the best. Some people like bungies, some don't....but don't expect OMS to be anti-bungie at all since they are the ones that make it. That's like Halcyon coming out and saying that bungees are the way to go (given that they don't make a bungeed wing).

I should have stated that the wing is UNbungied. And in all fairness I LOVE my OMS rig. Before I made my purchase I went to a Halcyon dealer near me and rented a BP/wing. I wasn't sure how to set it up he couldn't be bothered helping me out with it and at full capacity the wing couldn't float the 2# BP, the 2# STA, or my 100HP steel tank. the dealer told me that with a 18# pound wing it would be more than enough, and it wasn't. It also ruined a day of diving. But back to my OMS. I am thinking about selling the 65# wing and getting a 45# wing. Will the 45# bungied wing be enough lift if I start diving doubles?

taat2d once bubbled...

Will the 45# bungied wing be enough lift if I start diving doubles?

I dive LP-95s, argon and 2 deco tanks with a Halcyon 55#. I had a 70# and traded it for the 55. Much better.

You don't give enought info to make a guess for your situation, but I would say, IMO 45# would be pushing it for heavy doubles. Then again, there are doubles and doubles.

MD

Hey MD
I do most of my diving in New York. When the time comes that I start diving doubles I and gonna double up steel 100's. Right now I am diving a 7mm farmer john. Eventually I want to get a dry suit. I only dived this set up twice. Im just not sure if I should switch to the 45# bungied wing or stick with the 65# wing.

ElectricZombie & O-Ring,
I dive the OMS Bungee Wings because I believe the bungee's help. I dove the Pioneer before and felt it was 'trapping gas'. I had to 'contort' my trim to get gas out of the wing,for some reason. I prefer the OMS.

Thats just my opinion though - which carries no weight I realize. Everyone has differant needs and tastes in gear selection. So I dive what works for me and respect that what works for me may not for someone else.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
ElectricZombie & O-Ring,
I dive the OMS Bungee Wings because I believe the bungee's help. I dove the Pioneer before and felt it was 'trapping gas'. I had to 'contort' my trim to get gas out of the wing,for some reason. I prefer the OMS.

Thats just my opinion though - which carries no weight I realize. Everyone has differant needs and tastes in gear selection. So I dive what works for me and respect that what works for me may not for someone else.
Dive what works for you..

O-Ring,
Latest news is that OMS will be looking at 'DIR approved' products eventually, after 2 Halcyon employees that left Halcyon are now employed by OMS. I'd imagine that will include a bungee-less wing as well which they have now.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
O-Ring,
Latest news is that OMS will be looking at 'DIR approved' products eventually, after 2 Halcyon employees that left Halcyon are now employed by OMS. I'd imagine that will include a bungee-less wing as well which they have now.
I saw that.. I think the defectees were: 1) Joe-Bob Skeeter - head of sanitary engineering and 2) Cleetus McMullet - chief stamp licker. Halcyon won't survive without them...

I actually did a couple dives on an OMS non-bungee wing and it seemed fine to me. Whatever works..

I agree with some of DIR's philosophy, and agree that one could probably get along just fine w/o bungees - however, after MY gas trapping 'problem' - and I have spoken to another huge OMS tech diver who had the same experience - I remained loyal to my bungee wing. While I agree that simplier is better, you have to use what seems to work for yourself.

Yes, OMS's drag test sounded like it would extremely hard to properly 'test' water drag on a diver, being there could be SO many variables in the test. Thats simpley CHEM 101 logic. I realize that much of what we see in advertising is more hype than real scientific proof, per se.

and I have spoken to another huge OMS tech diver who had the same experience
Maybe his gas trapping problem had something to do with his obesity problem? How huge was he? 400 lbs?

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom