63yr Old Father Taking OW Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OysterBoot74

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just wanted to share this due to how excited I am about it-:D

My father and I have fished together offshore out of Dauphin Island for at least 30 years ( I think he first took me when I was 5). This hasn't been a passive hobby either. From Spring to Fall, foul weather or fair, economy high or low, we were usually good for three weekends a month until I moved away for college. While we never quit, our frequency slowed as I moved about the country for the next 14 years or so. Some of my earliest memories on the water are of him cursing about a diver that just dropped in on a spot he was fishing and he was pretty sarcastic when I decided to get certified this past year. lol. When I lived just North of Tallahasse for several years, he would even drive over occassionally and we would fish Appalachee Bay, or Carrabelle, or Port ST. Joe, or Mexico Beach in my small flats boat. Consistently his attitude toward divers has been poor. However, to be honest, maybe due to his generation or age or socio-economic background, his attitude is usally poor when it comes to things he isn't familiar with. :rofl3: When I moved back to Mobile, in addition to resuming our frequent trips, we added the months of October through March to our list of months that we could be found on the water. Well, its funny how things can sometimes come full circle isn't it? My 63 year old father takes his first dive class next Friday night @ Gulf Coast Diver's in Mobile. I am really proud of him and can't wait 'till he gets certified. Go Dad! lol. I hope he enjoys it as much as I have.

That is great. I lived on Dauphin Island for the summer of 05 and 06 wonderful place. Good luck with diving with him. Enjoy it.

Tell your dad I said congrats. My whole family did OW with me and we have had some good times in the water. Hope to see you guys next time we do Pickens, and maybe you can get your dad one of those cool masks you had the last time we were there.:rofl3:

That is great! I envy you being able to make all those great memories with your dad. Diving will just enable you to make more.

My 63 year old father takes his first dive class next Friday night @ Gulf Coast Diver's in Mobile. I am really proud of him and can't wait 'till he gets certified. Go Dad! lol. I hope he enjoys it as much as I have.

Tell your dad I said congrats. My whole family did OW with me and we have had some good times in the water. Hope to see you guys next time we do Pickens, and maybe you can get your dad one of those cool masks you had the last time we were there.

Don't be jealous of the mask Firetech. I'll buy you one the next time we go! :eyebrow:

Thanks guys. THat's got to be about the coolest to share that sort of thing with your family. Can't wait till the kids get old enough to buy their own gear and classes so they can go with me!:rofl3:

I'm dragging the boat to Pensacola tomorrow for a couple dives and if weather isn't aweful, staying @ Vortex Saturday night. Wish he were finished with classes already. :)

The 15th and 29th of October look to be the same as when we went on the 2nd, per freetidetables.com. Maybe we can all get together again, wjeffries said he likes morning weekday dives too. Oh and don't tease me with an offer of one of those cool masks.:rofl3:

I'm 62 and I've been diving for nearly 50 years. I can't tell you the joy I felt when my son got certified last year and we begin to dive together. It has been a wonderful experience. Hope your father really enjoys the new world his eyes will open to and the two of you have years of great experiences together.

That is cool to hear. Once he gets certified, PM me and lets meet up for a dive at Ft. Pickens.

Hey that is great news - tell your Dad we're proud to bring him aboard the team - he'll be spearfishing in no time at all - and now I won't be the only white-haired guy in the water...

That is great! Your fishing stories about you and your father sound somewhat familiar, Chip and his father go fishing in the Everglades at least once or twice a year. They just returned from a trip to the Everglades this past weekend, and he always returns with such good fishing stories, I can't until spring when we're going to take my father for the first time.

Best of luck to both you and your father!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom