(6/17/05) Dive accident in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Dear Scuba Divers:
I was recently diving in Cozumel with one of the popular dive outfits. Within 20 min. of the dive my right ear began to ring. The dive was the standard variety for Cozumel within decompression limits with a long lunch break. In the afternoon following the dive I felt tired and my appetite was gone. For the rest of the week I was tired so I rested and was not interested in diving. The second day after returning home. I developed classical Type 2 decompression symptoms and totally lost my hearing on the right side. I have not been able to work for 2.5 months, losing my career and health. This is a warning to other divers that are older, I am 49. My recommendation is that dive depths be limited according to age. This is not a completely freak accident since the ENT I have seen has taken care of 15-20 cases like mine over his career. I decided to write this so that others know that there is risk involved in the sport. I have studied the subject intensely the last couple of months and what I know now I would have never had taken up the sport in the first place.

fred, i am sorry to hear of your hearing loss. However, this should probably be in the accidents forum...Also, your age could not be the only thing that contributed to it. Understand that there are MANY factors that can contribute to DCS.

Fred, sorry to hear about your injury and the difficult period you are going through. You have my best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Since you made this post with the big-hearted goal of helping others avoid a similar situation, it would be very helpful if you could include further details on what brought it about, such as your dive profiles, what you were breathing, how much diving you had been doing, and your general physical condition. It's always helpful to hear "be careful," but it would be all the more helpful if people could compare what precipitated your injury and compare it with their own practices.

Godspeed, and thank you for helping the rest of us be safer.

Fred, I'm 53 and just certified June '04. A few weeks ago I had the opertunity to dive Cozumel and Belize. The Cozumel dive 1 was an 85 fsw dive for 20min and 40 fsw for 10 min then the safety stop. After a SI of 1hr. a 40 fsw dive for 30 min and a 10 min ascent to safety stop. The next day the Belize dives were max 50 fsw and 30 fsw. After each dive I felt great and exilirated. My neice (20) and her boyfriend (21) were with me on the Belize dives and asked me why I wasn't tired as they were. I told them that they must have exertrd themselves more than I did. These were great dives.

All this said, I'd have to agree with Lord1234. I feel there has to be something else other than age involved with your DCS.

I am sorry that you have had such a bad experiance and wish you the best in your recovery.

fred herman:
In the afternoon following the dive I felt tired and my appetite was gone. For the rest of the week I was tired so I rested and was not interested in diving. The second day after returning home. I developed classical Type 2 decompression symptoms and totally lost my hearing on the right side.
Fred,

I'm terribly sorry you've experienced the problems you describe. I wonder if I could request some additional information?

I'm not an expert on DCS, but if I follow your post:
* you did a dive on the morning of Day 1.
* you did not dive the rest of Day 1.
* you did not dive the rest of the week.
* after the week you flew home.
* the second day after you returned home you developed Type 2 DCS symptoms.

If I assume "the rest of the week" was 5 days, then you flew home, this would put your Type 2 DCS symptoms occurring some 7 days after the dive in question.

Is this what you meant? You first experienced the DCS symptoms approximately 7 days after diving in Cozumel?

Thank you for the information. Again, sorry for your problems.

Doc

fred herman:
Dear Scuba Divers:
I was recently diving in Cozumel with one of the popular dive outfits. Within 20 min. of the dive my right ear began to ring. The dive was the standard variety for Cozumel within decompression limits with a long lunch break. In the afternoon following the dive I felt tired and my appetite was gone. For the rest of the week I was tired so I rested and was not interested in diving. The second day after returning home. I developed classical Type 2 decompression symptoms and totally lost my hearing on the right side. I have not been able to work for 2.5 months, losing my career and health. This is a warning to other divers that are older, I am 49. My recommendation is that dive depths be limited according to age. This is not a completely freak accident since the ENT I have seen has taken care of 15-20 cases like mine over his career. I decided to write this so that others know that there is risk involved in the sport. I have studied the subject intensely the last couple of months and what I know now I would have never had taken up the sport in the first place.

Have you contacted DAN ?

Using the DAN Emergency Hotline
+1-919-684-8111 or +1-919-684-4DAN (Collect)

Paul in VT

I wouldn't be so quick to pin the problem on age. I know somw pretty old divers who do some pretty seriouse dives on a regular basis.

Since "out of the ordinary" fatigue itselfe is a symptom why didn't you seek medical attention sooner. One of the most common complicating factors with DCS is a delay in treatment. If this was indeed DCS early treatment may have resolved the whole issue early on. When in doubt go for a chamber ride and carry insurance so you can afford it.

I agree with everyone's opinion that something else is going on. I'm 49 and dive actively and often getting into decompression, at least as my Oceanic computer shows it, and I have yet to have a DCS hit. I do always make my stops.

As I said before I know lots of old divers doing really long geep dives without problems. I'm 46 and if I tried to tell you that I was as fit as I was at 25 it would be a lie so I won't. There are some things that I do though.

First know something about decompression theory beyond how to read a dive table and take a sensible approach. You can decide for yourself what's sensible but...

For me, I use nitrox for midrange dives and use nitrox and/or pure O2 for ascents from deeper dives. I don't dive to near table limits and then do a direct ascent with a minimal safety stop. I plan some shallow time for deep time and, as I said, prefer to breath a high O2 mix for part of that. Many "resort" type profiles are exactly what I don't do...100+ ft dives with a single 80 of air and having to skimp on ascent time to get a reasonable amount of bottom time and not having any good gas to breath on the way up. I know it's done all the time but you can have it. There are tons of posts on this board alone from divers who were bent on recreational dives in places like Cozumel. People keep refering to them as un-deserved...yea right.

I don't brag about how fast I can get out of the water and I don't rush my ascents. If it's cold or something and I know I'm not going to enjoy decompression, I limit my bottom time to keep the length manageable. I carry enough gas to take the time I want to get up and while I've been teased a few times for taking more time than some others think is needed I haven't been bent yet...note I said "yet".

Also, those who do get bent when they really feel they shouldn't have like a friend of mine who's been hit bad twice in the last couple of years, should probably think about looking for the reason...maybe get checked for a PFO or something.

The importance of adequate rest, hydration and all that, kind of goes without saying but it can be a real challange when traveling.

First let me say that I wish you a full recovery and I am sorry this happened to you.

DAN did an article some time ago on depth and older divers. I'm not sure that age is the sole factor. I am 63 and dive a couple of times a week, sometimes to 80 feet.
From what I have read about DCS it can strike anyone at anytime for any number of reasons.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom