5mm wetsuit recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joha

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a wetsuit with following properties:

- 5mm (for min 18 celcius waters)
- front zipper
- single piece (jumpsuit?)
- european
- suitable for travelling

Any recommendations? I might also consider two piece products.

must be the european thing :wink:

Kim:
Out of curiosity..why a front zipper?

Well I just prefer to use it easily by myself. It may be some european thing :)
I'm planning to buy it from US but use it mostly in Europe. Of course I'm open to any recommendations for excellent suit if it helps :)

What price range are you looking at? But I haven't seen any front zipper wetsuit, they must be out there.

joha:
Well I just prefer to use it easily by myself. It may be some european thing :)
I'm planning to buy it from US but use it mostly in Europe. Of course I'm open to any recommendations for excellent suit if it helps :)
I have a front zipper 5mm, and a back zipper 3mm. I have no problem using them by myself but the front zipper suit is MUCH harder to take off. It's simply easier to pull the arms out in a frontward direction rather than the contortions I have to go through the opposite way. Still whatever! :D

I just bought the 3mm from an English manufacturer:
http://www.procella.co.uk/

I did a review on the board here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=119267

Their single piece are back zipper, but they also do two pieces as well. Remember one thing though...back zippers have a piece of tape that is long enough to pull yourself to close it. The Procella suit is very easy to close by yourself.

edit: The other reason I personally prefer the back zipper is that you get an actual neck seal as well then. That is non-existent with my front zipper.

Ok, your standards DO tend to narrow the field a bit. I don't think I've seen any wets like that. But if I may be so bold as to suggest one which deviates from your requests: the SCUBAPRO Thermal Tek. Mine's a 5 mil, very warm :evil_4: , and very forgiving. My only problem with it is that SCUBAPRO hasn't quite got the back zipper quite down yet, making it a royal pain in the butt to don :cussing: . I've only done it once by myself. It's definately a buddy thing. It is a single piece jumpsuit. If I were to choose another wet, it would be a two piece, front zip, but I would forever mourn the loss of the thermal trapping capabilites of the Thermal Tek.
I suppose a zipper could be mounted on the front.....Leave that back one always up :hm: ?
If you ever find exactly what you're looking for, let me know. I would be very interested.

I too use the Scuba Pro Thermal Tek 5 mil and have been very happy and warm with this suit. I always put the suit on without assistance or difficulty but I have long arms and this may make a difference. Suit is "semi-dry" with rubber seals at neck, arms, and legs.

Contact a harvey's dealer. One of their full custom 5 mils will run you around 300 with wrist and ankle zippers, front or back zip and since it's a full custom it'll fit.

Joha--

Are you looking for a one-piece suit with an integrated hood? For that temperature, I'd think you'd want a hood. And it's much easier to find a front zip on a (non-custom) suit with an integrated hood. See my profile pic (not avatar).

Back
Top Bottom