5mm Wetsuit for Tropical - Is that too warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget that depth also has an effect. When Maui water temps get down to 78F I use a 5mm fullsuit + beanie or hood for the boat dives where much of the time is at 80-100', but still use a 3/2mm (3mm on torso, 2mm on legs & arms) for the shallower shore dives.

A hood, or the less claustrophobia-inducing beanie, only take up a little bit of space and weight in the luggage and can make a big difference in warmth.

As other have said, you can always cool down by unzipping or pullin open the neck seal. The only drawback to using a 5mm instead of 3mm is that the buoyancy of the wetsuit will change more with depth. The "no hassles, no change in buoyancy with depth" is why I prefer a 3/2mm fullsuit until the temp gets down to about 79F/26C.

In Maui, I wear a 3mm and my wife wears a 5mm. I'm warm, she is still cold. The differences in people is really amazing and wetsut fit makes a tremendous difference.

This is totally personal, I wear a 1 ml shorty in the tropics while everyone around me is in 3mil full suits. Perfectly warm until near the end of the fourth dive then I need a hot shower at the end to warm up.

I would cook in a 5 mil suit pouring water in or not. However I learned to dive in BC and I live in a reasonably cold climate so am perhaps more tolerant to cold than most.

Where you live and the climate does have something to do with this. I find that when diving in the tropics the locals find water "chilly" that I find "toasty". They think I'm nuts in my shorty.

I think I would recommend the 3 mil for the "average" person.

I'd recommend a 3mm also. I use a 3mm all summer long on Cape Cod-water temp 70ish. Also, full suit is way to go-good for UV protection also. I agree w/TexDiveGuy's BARE recommendation for a good inexpensive suit.

How many dives are you planning on doing? If you're just doing a few, a 3mm will more than serve your needs. However, if you're planning on doing something like a liveaboard, where you are doing up to 4 dives a day for a week straight, you will probably be more comfortable in the 5mm.

I am about to get my drysuit. For liveaboard I would use mostly a drysuit. This is more for a 2-dives a day in tropical waters like Cuba.

J75:
How many dives are you planning on doing? If you're just doing a few, a 3mm will more than serve your needs. However, if you're planning on doing something like a liveaboard, where you are doing up to 4 dives a day for a week straight, you will probably be more comfortable in the 5mm.

Nunomix,
There's one thing about being warm at depth: you can open the neck or cuffs to your wet suit and cool off. If you get cold, well then, you're cold, that's it.

There is nothing to guarantee you that the temp of the water is going to be 82 degrees at your max depth. Always opt on the side of being warm.

Comfort is such a very, very subjective issue. No one on the board can give you a right answer for your question.

Remember not to rule out layering. You may want to consider a 3/2mm with a 2mm hooded vest as back up/additional protection.

Just put your comfort (read that as safety) first in your selection process and go with it.

the K

Okay guys.

I just got the Bare 5/4mm... In the case I get too warm I will put water inside the suit, although I dont think this will be too much the case, as I am normally more cold than warm.

The Bare fits just right. Very confortable to dress and not tight or loosen, so I think I go a perfect size although probably will get slightly loosen when wet.

Thanks to all for your help.

The Kraken:
Nunomix,
There's one thing about being warm at depth: you can open the neck or cuffs to your wet suit and cool off. If you get cold, well then, you're cold, that's it.

There is nothing to guarantee you that the temp of the water is going to be 82 degrees at your max depth. Always opt on the side of being warm.

Comfort is such a very, very subjective issue. No one on the board can give you a right answer for your question.

Remember not to rule out layering. You may want to consider a 3/2mm with a 2mm hooded vest as back up/additional protection.

Just put your comfort (read that as safety) first in your selection process and go with it.

the K

Nuno,

Like you have been reading, everybody has a different feeling as to what is cold. I picked up the 1 piece Mares 3mm wetsuit, and feel great at 72 degrees F. My buddy got one and is cold with it. The Mares suit seems to be quality construction and should be easily available in Europe.

best of Luck,

Stu S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom