5mm Wetsuit for Tropical - Is that too warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunomix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I want to buy a cheap wetsuit (thinking to spend until 250EUR) for diving in the tropics.

Is 5 mm too warm for that? Which ones would you recommend?

Thank you in advance

Regards

Nuno

A good bet for even warm water diving is the tried and tested 3mil full wetsuit. BARE make a eally great model in their Hyperstrech line. Offers plenty of thermo and critter/coral protection.

Exposure protection needs vary so much for different people it's hard for anyone to say what is right for you. Perhaps some more information on where you are from (what temps you are used to) and where/what temp your "tropical" diving is would help. Personally, when I do tropical diving it's usually 78-84F and I wear a 1mm, occasionally with a 3mm vest. I would never consider a 5mm. But many people wear 3mm and some wear 5mm or more (especially people who live there and have gotten used to warm air and water.)

I think a fullsuit is a much better idea than a shorty, for protection against stingy things and whatever.

I am a firm believer in the "never too warm" philosophy. You can always let water into your suit to cool off, but you can't add a layer while you're underwater. I dive in Florida all year... I wear a 7mm FULL. Some people think I'm crazy (which is probably true) but I know many others who also wear 7's in Florida in the winter... I even know people who dive dry... In 76 degree F water. I really don't care if people think I'm a whimp... I stay perfectly comfortable after an hour, and I see the people in 3's holding their arms, and shivering.

So to answer the original question... I see nothing wrong with a 5mm.

Depends on the water temp and how long you stay in the water, how fast you get cold. However, I think 5 mil is too thick. I usually use a 3 mil full suit that could be considered to thick as well since I make the same dive without a suit (the boat had no lead left over, without a wetsuit, I am neutral). I would be slightly chilled after 40 minutes. These dives were in 83 degree water. Your call. Happy Shopping Tom

Thank you guys for your quick answer.

I am used to cold water (temps around 15-20C). I believe that in the water a 5mm would still be okay for me underwater. But I am also concerned about the time in the surface. Wont I be terribly warm in a 5mm?

The water temps I will dive with the wetsuit will range from 25-30C. I definetly want to have a full suit (no shorty). And I also want a black wetsuit (I am a fan of sharks and for that I prefer black suit for shark diving).

Damselfish:
Exposure protection needs vary so much for different people it's hard for anyone to say what is right for you. Perhaps some more information on where you are from (what temps you are used to) and where/what temp your "tropical" diving is would help. Personally, when I do tropical diving it's usually 78-84F and I wear a 1mm, occasionally with a 3mm vest. I would never consider a 5mm. But many people wear 3mm and some wear 5mm or more (especially people who live there and have gotten used to warm air and water.)

I think a fullsuit is a much better idea than a shorty, for protection against stingy things and whatever.

nunomix:
Thank you guys for your quick answer.

I am used to cold water (temps around 15-20C). I believe that in the water a 5mm would still be okay for me underwater. But I am also concerned about the time in the surface. Wont I be terribly warm in a 5mm?

The water temps I will dive with the wetsuit will range from 25-30C. I definetly want to have a full suit (no shorty). And I also want a black wetsuit (I am a fan of sharks and for that I prefer black suit for shark diving).

On the surface... Again... don't put your suit on until you're almost ready to get into the water. If you get warm... Dump cold water on yourself.

I wear a 3mm full suit for water over 82 degrees. From 75-82 I wear a 5mm full.

But, I get cold easily. In fact, it's 71 degrees in the house right now and I'm wearing slippers and a fleece jacket and I'm not really warm.

As others have said, it all depends on how quickly you get cold while diving. Even warm water pulls heat out of us. Some have a greater tolerance for this than others.

For myself, most of my warm water dives have been in Maui. Even when the wtaer there has been 80 F (or warmer), I've always found a shorty to be inadequate. A 3 mm full suit is usually alright for the first dive, but during the second dive I start to feel a bit chilly (especially during night dives). If there's a third dive, I always feel somewhat cold. That's why I've bought a 5 mm wet suit (a Pinnacle Fusion). I'll be going back to Maui in February and in August, and I'm really looking forward to being comfortable during every dive.

As far as being too warm on the boat before the first dive and suring the surface interval(s), I've found it best to be partially "undressed" -- i.e., keeping my chest and arms out of the suit until just before putting on all the dive equipment. (In fact, I've even done this while using a 3 mm full suit -- most people feel much warmer in air than in water of the same temperature.) And if I feel a bit too warm during a dive, I've used the old "pull the suit away from the neck in order to let some water in" trick. Works every time.

In any case, wear a wet suit that works best for you. Comfort is much more important than style here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom