5mm waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I googled up the temps for early Nov. Surface--80F, thermocline---68F. Your basic 3mm dive.

If you're planning to do any repetitive diving, the 3mm may be too cold with those temps. We dove 2 tanks in 79 degree water for 8 days straight and my 3mm wasn't warm enough on days 7 and 8. On the other hand, my husband was never cold, so how much exposure protection to wear is an extremely personal thing.

I've since bought a 5mm for our upcoming liveaboard trip in Belize where the water temperatures will be similar and we'll be diving 4 tanks a day for 6 straight days. :D

Thats my problem! 68 is too cold for a 3mm with multiple dives, but a 7mm I think would be overkill. I think I'm going to try a 3mm vest. It gives me the option of adding extra warmth when needed. Plus I can use it with my .5mm skin later when in warmer waters. Thanks everyone for the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom