5mm two-piece vs. 7mm jumpsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dugger

Reaction score
Howdy all!!!,

I'm still a novice diver and was wondering if anyone can briefly explain the relative difference in warmth between a 5mm farmer john style two-piece and a 7mm jumpsuit. (same manufacturer and model - Henderson Gold Core) I am looking at two different used/as new suits at my LDS (good deal on both). I am interested in versatility, but am worried the 5mm will be cold; even with 10mm at the core. Will the 7mm be warmer? Will it be THAT much warmer? The two-piece has nice zippered legs and arms at the same price. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!! Great forum!!!, Dugger

I don't care for 2-piece suits. Generally speaking, the neck seal is poor and leaks enough cold water to offset the advantages of more core insulation. I replaced my 2-piece 3mm suit with a 5mm jumpsuit and am much warmer.

Plus, there really is not much call for a 5mm long sleeved shortie.

Howdy all!!!,

I'm still a novice diver and was wondering if anyone can briefly explain the relative difference in warmth between a 5mm farmer john style two-piece and a 7mm jumpsuit. (same manufacturer and model - Henderson Gold Core) I am looking at two different used/as new suits at my LDS (good deal on both). I am interested in versatility, but am worried the 5mm will be cold; even with 10mm at the core. Will the 7mm be warmer? Will it be THAT much warmer? The two-piece has nice zippered legs and arms at the same price. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!! Great forum!!!, Dugger

I would go with the 7 mm jump suit. If you need more insulation beyond the 7 MM jump suit you can get a step-in hooded vest.

With this combination you can use one or both depending on the water temperature.

The farmer john does not give you this option.

I'd go with the 7mm jumpsuit. I would not go with one that had 5mm sleeves like many Hendersons. Your hands are apt to be one of the first places to feel cold and this will be exacerbated with thinner sleeves.

If your water is cold enough to ask this question the 7mm won't be too much. You can always augment the 7mm jumpsuit with several forms of hooded vests for a very formidable wet rig.

If you are buying a gold core don't let them sell you a dive skin, you want that rubber clinging to your flesh.

Of course filling out your profile and telling us about your diving can't hurt the cause.

Pete

7mm-5mm= 2mm less in a 5mm. Probaby go with the 7mm.

Back
Top Bottom