5mm Shorty from 3mm full?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akirawut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This isn't exactly a "how much exposure protection should I wear?" question. As I know everyone is different, and I do know what works for me - however I'm looking at making a substitution, so it's more of a "will this be as good as or better" type question.

Previously in places like Bonaire or Belize I will generally wear a 3mm full, although it was slightly too large so it would let more flow than expected resulting in being a bit cold at the end of a long dive, especially at the end of a big week. When in a warm place like this I do make sure to do at least a couple dives in just shorts, and it's fine. I imagine based on my experience that if I had a 3mm full that fit properly I wouldn't get cold at all.

Now that the scene is set, here is the question: My wetsuit was actually stolen, so I need to replace it. I could just get a 3mm full that fits properly. That's one option. The other route I am considering going it getting either a 3mm, or even a 5MM shorty. I figure this would take up less room in the luggage, and as I understand it the key is really keeping the core warm, and then the extremities will follow. I just have a hard time 100% imagining that, without trying it.

I was wondering if anyone could share there thoughts on switching from a 3mm full to a 5mm shorty based on what I said about my temperature above. Will that likely be warm enough?

Thanks,
-Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom