5mm or 3mm exposure suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dodoodles

New
Reaction score
I have a 3mm shorty and did my open water cert in Belize. I was freezing in the water and when I came out. I am going diving Turks and Caicos and was wondering if I should purchase a 3mm or 5mm full wetsuit? Iam 5'3 117lbs fit female.

I was there in April with water temps 75-78 degrees a couple of years back and got cool after multiple dives in a 5mm. Being cold is no fun, so I'd buy the warmer suit, and take a hood along too.

Last edited:
Depends on (1) the time of year you are going, and (2) your personal susceptibility to cold. Check out the Travel section of ScubaBoard and search for water temps for the time of the year you are going. My wife who is approximately your size dives a 5mm when the water temps are 76-80 degrees and takes along a hood just in case.

I have a 3mm shorty and did my open water cert in Belize. I was freezing in the water and when I came out. I am going diving Turks and Caicos and was wondering if I should purchase a 3mm or 5mm full wetsuit? Iam 5'3 117lbs fit female.
Definitely, get a 5mm full sut. If you were cold previously, you'll need it. If you look at the DM's and Instructors, you'll see they wear 5mm or 7mm suits. True, they do a lot more diving everyday, but you won't feel like you're out of place with a heavy wet suit.

Also, if you're warm, you can always let some water in to cool you off, but there's nothing you can do if you're cold.

Enjoy your trip,
Ken

Winter water temps about 75, 3mm should be great, but it all depends on the person. Some people need more suit than another to stay warm. I never wear a shorty, I do not like jellyfish stings. Bring both, you know you will be comfy.

If you were wearing a shorty, try a full 3mm. If need be, wear a dive skin under it. 3mm should be more than adequate but as posted above, it depends on your susceptibility to cold.

My wife/buddy dives her 5mm even when temps are in the low 80s. The only real downside of the 5mm if it turns out to be a bit much is the extra lead. If you chill easily, you might even want to add a hooded vest.

You could buy a 3mm and put the 3mm shorty on top or go with a 5mm. I doubt you know many gals with your build that take cold well.

What time of year did you do your OW cert in Belize? What was the water temperature? I'll second theduckguru, for more versatility, you could purchase a regular wetsuit and a shortie and have 3 combinations of suits you can use. A hood always helps with additional warmth, even with a thinner suit, as well.

I get cold after multiple dives on vacation. I am purchasing a new 3mm full wetsuit, but plan on purchasing a skin to wear underneath. Does anyone know if you have to buy a larger wetsuit to accomodate the skin? Should the hood be a part of the skin or a seperate 3mm hood? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom