5mm for warm water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a 5/4mm suit I use in Springs with temps of 68-74 degrees.
For the most part I am warm. If I am doing long dives or multiple dives I tend to get a little chilly about 50 minutes into my second dive, especially if I am not moving around too much.

5mm is fine for Florida diving. Anything colder than 70 degrees I would recommend a 7mm wetsuit with a hood, or if you can afford it, a drysuit.

I just purchased a drysuit due to the fact I plan on diving caves and doing long deep dives that require deco times. I'm not doing that in a wetsuit!!

I should add that I get cold EASY, I'm very skinny with no body fat and I've lived in Florida my whole life.

It was a mono they have a 2 peice i think. I think the only 3mm in my size was a 2 piece.

Personally, I would go with the 3mm two piece system bigtim, the reason been 3mm is a lot (quite a lot) more flexable than the thicker 5mm suits which makes it more comfortable to wear, easier to get on and off and has more stretch so it tends to fit easier to bigger frames.

The two piece is also a much more flexable suit, the layering gives you 6mm if you are cold, but you have the flexability of just the 3mm farmerjohn if the water is warm enough.

Remember as the neoprene gets thicker, generally it gets more constricting.

From my experience, the bigger guys are not quite as agile and tend to get a bit restricted around the arms and shoulders in a mono suit, I honestly think you will be a lot more comfortable in a two piece system.

..........but as I say, if possible, do try both on before buying.

Did my OW in Key Largo in a 5MM full. Was perfect. I would think it would be a little much in the Caymans though.

Call me a wimp, but we just back from Curacao were the water temp was 81* and used a 5/7mm with a 1mm vest and hood.

Like the others have stated "You can never be to warm".........

I live in Key West and the water temp now is around 73 degrees. I'm very comfortable in my 5mm especially on the second dive.

Tim,
One thing that hasn't been brought up is the amount of weight you will have to wear. I am a big guy who stays pretty warm. I found the akona wetsuits on e-bay brand new and very inexpensive. I have a 1mm and 5mm. 90% of warm water dives i.e. Cozumel, Roatan or the keys I can get by with the 1mil. You always want to be warm, but the difference in the weight a 170lb. guy would wear between a 3mm or 5mm isn't that great. It is for you and I. Your going to have a tough time being able to try gear before you buy it. People just don't have those sizes in stock or to rent. I am not sure where you are in Indiana but I have used Lake County Divers Supply in Hobart and they have been great. They put together a Zeagle ranger for me that been great. I see that you are looking at BC options. Good luck and welcome to the sport I am sure you will love it.
Jim

Ok thanks to one of you guys i found a site that has a stock 6x wetsuit. That will fit me just fine i think even th 5x might fit. But the only one they have big enugh is in a 5mm is that to much for the florida key's water.

Definitely not. I'd have killed for a 5mm suit when i dived there in mid summer. Was frozen after 3 days of my 3mm suit.

I've not found anywhere on earth yet where a 3mm will do for more than a day of diving. Too cold on a dive is miserable, too warm (if it ever happens, i havent had it yet) can be solved by simply flushing some water.

For the temperatures you're quoted though i'd likely be layered in a 2 or 3 piece suit giving me 8-11mm semi dry.

You won't be too warm in a 5 mil in 70 degree water. 70 degree water isn't really very warm at all. You might even want to add a hood.

You WILL need a fair amount of weight to sink you and a 5 mil suit.

You are FAR better off to be a little warmer than you need to be, than to be cold, especially on certification dives. (Says someone who got clinical hypothermia on her checkout dives, and knows.)

I am south of terre haute. or 100 miles south of indy.
Scubatoys said they would set me up a ranger ltd with a 3xl waist and a xl chest. THat is the way i am leaning but still unsure
Tim,
One thing that hasn't been brought up is the amount of weight you will have to wear. I am a big guy who stays pretty warm. I found the akona wetsuits on e-bay brand new and very inexpensive. I have a 1mm and 5mm. 90% of warm water dives i.e. Cozumel, Roatan or the keys I can get by with the 1mil. You always want to be warm, but the difference in the weight a 170lb. guy would wear between a 3mm or 5mm isn't that great. It is for you and I. Your going to have a tough time being able to try gear before you buy it. People just don't have those sizes in stock or to rent. I am not sure where you are in Indiana but I have used Lake County Divers Supply in Hobart and they have been great. They put together a Zeagle ranger for me that been great. I see that you are looking at BC options. Good luck and welcome to the sport I am sure you will love it.
Jim

It all depends on the individuals cold tolerance I use a 5mil suit down to 55 degrees and a 3mil from 65 degrees to 75 degrees then skin above 75 degrees but I also always have a minimum of a 5mil full hood or a 3mil beany whenI dive. I find the hood makes a huge difference in my comfort level. Below 55 I usually dive dry down to 40 degrees below that is to cold for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom