58 years old, looking for fins to help with efficiency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It brings up some interesting conversation. “Spearfishing? You hold your breath?.....cool....go ahead”.

upload_2018-11-5_18-12-29.jpeg

Freedive fins should allow a diver to swim fast if he needs to but, freedivers don’t normally swim “fast”. Moving through the water too fast results in a lot more drag and this wastes energy and this uses up oxygen and generates carbon dioxide. In most situations, a freediver wants to get as far as possible with the least amount of effort. This is what I think about when talking about efficiency.

If we accept this idea as being representative of “efficiency”, then it may be easier to understand that longfins are going to also be efficient at the slow and moderate speeds which most scuba divers are going to be interested in.

A scuba diver who tries to sprint around underwater moving as fast as he can is going to use up his air supply much faster and will likely cover LESS ground than a slower diver; regardless of the type of fins being used.

Long fins (or freedive) fins are not incompatible with a very slow and gently swimming pattern. Knowledgeable divers who want to creep along slowly, can do very small amplitude kicks, actually they are just flicking their ankles and getting a small deflection in the blade. This is a very gentle and easy means to kick in long fins. It avoids the use of the large hamstring and thigh muscles that are big consumers of energy.

There is absolutely no need to swim fast with freedive fins.

I would agree that long fins are NOT the best choice for all diving and I can imagine that they are not a good choice in a silty wreck or maybe a cave. I also don’t think they would work with a dry suit that has thick boots etc, because they would not fit. If a scuba diver has to scramble through significant surf and put the fins on or off quickly, then a spring strap or buckles on an open heel “scuba” fin would seem to be a better choice. A tech diver who is riding a scooter and needs his fins primarily for use as a rudder is probably not going to need long fins for that application. However, the original discussion was about efficiency.

Also not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but freedive fins can be made with a wide variety of blade stiffnesses. A 90-lb female freediver in a dive skin is NOT going to be using the same blade as a large male freediver who is diving in cold water and using a thick suit and is going to need a stiff and powerful blade to begin the ascent from depth. The blades can be fine tuned to the diver’s ability and also the environmental conditions.

The more advanced (and expensive) fiberglass and carbon fiber blades are very efficient in converting mechanical effort into propulsive force and are available in a variety of stiffnesses.

Freedive fins should allow a diver to swim fast if he needs to but, freedivers don’t normally swim “fast”. Moving through the water too fast results in a lot more drag and this wastes energy and this uses up oxygen and generates carbon dioxide. In most situations, a freediver wants to get as far as possible with the least amount of effort. This is what I think about when talking about efficiency.

If we accept this idea as being representative of “efficiency”, then it may be easier to understand that longfins are going to also be efficient at the slow and moderate speeds which most scuba divers are going to be interested in.

A scuba diver who tries to sprint around underwater moving as fast as he can is going to use up his air supply much faster and will likely cover LESS ground than a slower diver; regardless of the type of fins being used.

Long fins (or freedive) fins are not incompatible with a very slow and gently swimming pattern. Knowledgeable divers who want to creep along slowly, can do very small amplitude kicks, actually they are just flicking their ankles and getting a small deflection in the blade. This is a very gentle and easy means to kick in long fins. It avoids the use of the large hamstring and thigh muscles that are big consumers of energy.

There is absolutely no need to swim fast with freedive fins.

I would agree that long fins are NOT the best choice for all diving and I can imagine that they are not a good choice in a silty wreck or maybe a cave. I also don’t think they would work with a dry suit that has thick boots etc, because they would not fit. If a scuba diver has to scramble through significant surf and put the fins on or off quickly, then a spring strap or buckles on an open heel “scuba” fin would seem to be a better choice. A tech diver who is riding a scooter and needs his fins primarily for use as a rudder is probably not going to need long fins for that application. However, the original discussion was about efficiency.

Also not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but freedive fins can be made with a wide variety of blade stiffnesses. A 90-lb female freediver in a dive skin is NOT going to be using the same blade as a large male freediver who is diving in cold water and using a thick suit and is going to need a stiff and powerful blade to begin the ascent from depth. The blades can be fine tuned to the diver’s ability and also the environmental conditions.

The more advanced (and expensive) fiberglass and carbon fiber blades are very efficient in converting mechanical effort into propulsive force and are available in a variety of stiffnesses.

Yeah....gawddammit....

I think the point is that long fins are NOT good for any scuba divers who are maneuvering in tight spaces (caves, wrecks) or swimming near the reef; since most divers hit the corals with short fins, it will be worse with long fins. Efficiency is a different, and secondary issue.

I think the point is that long fins are NOT good for any scuba divers who are maneuvering in tight spaces (caves, wrecks) or swimming near the reef; since most divers hit the corals with short fins, it will be worse with long fins. Efficiency is a different, and secondary issue.
By your logic, a 6’4” diver is going to destroy more coral than a 5’3” diver using the same gear set up?
Technique supersedes fin length, in slow moving tighter spaces, by far.

By your logic, a 6’4” diver is going to destroy more coral than a 5’3” diver using the same gear set up?
Technique supersedes fin length, in slow moving tighter spaces, by far.
Yes, you are correct about my logic, which matches my observations. people do not know where their fins are, and if they take up more space then it is only worse.
I'm sure you have marvelous technique. Just don't come in a cave with me, OK?

Yes, you are correct about my logic, which matches my observations. people do not know where their fins are, and if they take up more space then it is only worse.
I'm sure you have marvelous technique. Just don't come in a cave with me, OK?
If you look back in this thread, I distinctly stated, “not talking cave or wreck diving”.
Have you ever used a good set of long blades?

If you look back in this thread, I distinctly stated, “not talking cave or wreck diving”.
Have you ever used a good set of long blades?
No, I have not. I'm a frog-kicker, and I am a photographer. I've got enough problems minding the coral without making it harder.

No, I have not. I'm a frog-kicker, and I am a photographer. I've got enough problems minding the coral without making it harder.

Ok, so efficiency is not a concern for you. This wasn’t a question of “your favorite fin for your preferred diving style or conditions”.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom