58 years old, looking for fins to help with efficiency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so efficiency is not a concern for you. This wasn’t a question of “your favorite fin for your preferred diving style or conditions”.
Chill, dude. As someone pointed out earlier, it all depends on what you mean by "efficiency."
Your definition is not everybody's.
If you want to focus solely on mechanical efficiency of converting leg motions to forward movement, using a flutter kick, fine. But others might want to include ease of packing and traveling with the fins, weight, use in more situations than just going forward in an unobstructed area, cost, even color for heaven's sake.

The OP simply asked for:

My wife and I are getting older at 58 and are looking for a good efficient, lightweight fin. Any thoughts/recommendations??

I'm not sure what an efficient lightweight fin is. I dive Dive Rite XTs. But I think it is not many of the recommendations that have been offered. I have the feeling that it is not long fin freedive fins.

The OP simply asked for:

My wife and I are getting older at 58 and are looking for a good efficient, lightweight fin. Any thoughts/recommendations??

I'm not sure what an efficient lightweight fin is. I dive Dive Rite XTs. But I think it is not many of the recommendations that have been offered. I have te feeling that it is not long fin freedive fins.
"good" "efficient" and "lightweight" are three criteria; I wonder how those criteria are weighted in the OP's mind, and what is the difference between "good" and "efficient?"

I dive XTs. Hollis F2s, and Eddys. There are all "good." The XTs and the Eddys move me through the water better (I usually frogkick), but I do not know what their relative efficiency is, in a purely energetics sense. The XTs are the heaviest, the F2's the lightest. The XTs are the hardest to travel with. I like to back-kick for my photography; the F2s don't cut it. So if I had to choose just one? I wouldn't do that, they each have their place.

Chill, dude. As someone pointed out earlier, it all depends on what you mean by "efficiency."
Your definition is not everybody's.
If you want to focus solely on mechanical efficiency of converting leg motions to forward movement, using a flutter kick, fine. But others might want to include ease of packing and traveling with the fins, weight, use in more situations than just going forward in an unobstructed area, cost, even color for heaven's sake.
Get a dictionary, dude.
Efficiency:
  • TECHNICAL
    the ratio of the useful work performed by a machine or in a process to the total energy expended or heat taken in.

Get a dictionary, dude.
Efficiency:
  • TECHNICAL
    the ratio of the useful work performed by a machine or in a process to the total energy expended or heat taken in.
Yes--I am sure that is what the OP had in mind.

This seems to be really, really important to you. Perhaps you might want to take a moment or two to reflect on why that might be.

Get a dictionary, dude.
Efficiency:
  • TECHNICAL
I have a feeling the OP was not exactly asking per the technical definition.

Not that this is likely to reduce the fascinating back and forth on the meaning of efficiency, but I'll point out that once more context was established, the OP asked about efficient fins because they struggled in a strong current, and tend to dive/swim with "heavy" feet. So now aside from all the suggestions provided about different and (hopefully) better fins, he also has some advice to consider on adjusting trim, and perhaps a different expectation of what to reasonably expect on current and waves.

In the day job I'm an analyst - I preach to others to be sure to understand the true business need, and then to answer the question that was asked, answer the question that should have been asked, and then to answer the next few questions that will be asked and/or should be asked.

Perhaps nothing but @Hank49 never answered the question. SB has a history of not always being as transparent as we would like. Perhaps nothing, I apologize if so.

I did answer your question. Look back to page 3 or so. I told you I was merely sharing experience.

I did answer your question. Look back to page 4 or so. I told you I was merely sharing experience.
Just sharing experience. I would’t use long blades for body surfing a grinding shore break however.

Sorry, my mistake. Freediving fins are simply not the answer as the best fin for the majority of circumstances for most divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom