$500 million in Silver discovered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaknott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey,

Fellow divers I was wondering if you guys had any more info on the $500 million in silver that was found in your area recently? I just read an article about it today and it really did not give much iin the way of specifics. I thought you guys might have heard stories or might even have first hand knowledge. It really sounds interesting.

The article said that they expect to get around $1000 a coin.

Yes it was the coast of England. A company out of Florida found it. Very tight lipped about where it is as you could imagine. They said so far they have 17 tons of coins.

Here's an article I found. Not much help on location though.

John

By Matthew Bigg

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Half a million silver coins and hundreds of gold coins have been recovered from an Atlantic colonial-era shipwreck in the largest such find of its kind, Odyssey Marine Exploration Inc. said on Friday.

The artifacts, which include 17 tonnes of silver coins and worked gold, were legally imported to the United States, the publicly listed U.S. company said in a statement.

The artifacts are being examined and cared for by conservationists at an undisclosed location, the statement said, adding that the first 6,000 silver coins conserved are in remarkable condition.

Reuters Pictures

Editors Choice: Best pictures
from the last 24 hours.
View Slideshow

"The gold coins are almost all dazzling mint state specimens," Odyssey co-founder Greg Stemm said.

Odyssey declined to give any information on the ship's location or name or the place of origin of the coins.

Its shares were up about 57 percent or $2.64 to $7.24 in American Stock Exchange trading on Friday afternoon, after earlier touching $7.50.

The company used archeological protocols and retrieved the haul using advanced robotic technology, it said.

"Our research suggests that there were a number of colonial period shipwrecks that were lost in the area where this site is located, so we are being very cautious about speculating as to the possible identity of the shipwreck," said John Morris, Odyssey's co-founder and chief executive.

"We have treated this site with kid gloves and the archeological work done by our team out there is unsurpassed. We are thoroughly documenting and recording the site, which we believe will have immense historical significance," he said.

Historic shipwrecks are of great interest to marine archeologists because of the information they can yield about seafaring, warfare and social life of the period in which the ship sank. Discoveries of wrecks yielding treasure are rare.

Hey wait, where'd they find it? I lost $500 million in coins when I was sailing off the coast of England a few years ago. Maybe I can go claim my lost property at Scotland Yard.:D

LobstaMan

Back
Top Bottom