500 Lumen Light only $79.99

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a nice light. It is too bad shipping to Canada is so darned expensive.

OK, I jumped on board too. I just ordered one (nothing like the last minute lol). Thanks for the pics Jax.

This should work great in our low viz So Cal waters.

I received my DRIS500 today. Compared to Hollis LED5, DRIS is almost identical in shape, same head and barrel diameter, and surprisingly about 1/2" shorter overall. Brightness wise, it is brighter than Hollis but not blow away kind of difference. Hot spot is slight brighter and bigger. Overall spill is also brighter. I also like it better because it is more gradual than Hollis.

Now to the dislike/concern. 1) Already mention before, the head rotation is kind of tight, very easy to accidentlly loosen the head assembly. 2)The head assembly is sealed by two surface o-ring on each side of the lens. I wonder how well this seal can be in actual use. The first batch of Hollis LED5 leaks at the head assembly, I think it is due to to the same design. I wonder if DRIS has any knowledge about it.

dv:
Paid 20 for shipping and another 20 in duty/taxes to cross the border. At least I got a great deal!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?v2ypbk

$20 in duties....really?? I can't believe it was that much. WOW.....We need to just send a pile of them up to Canada and have someone distribute them there.

We haven't had any issues with a leaky head :D

I created an account today then tried to log in and all it does it take me back to the front page. Still showning me as a guest. Then I try to purchase without logging in. Is there an issue with the web site?

$20 in duties....really?? I can't believe it was that much. WOW.....We need to just send a pile of them up to Canada and have someone distribute them there.

We haven't had any issues with a leaky head :D

I have had very bad luck shipping via anything to Canada but USPS.....just my experience.

Scuba Steve Distribution at your service :D

I will get one when I can drop the shipping by combining items. I will have one one day :thumb:

Slightly, but not completely, off-topic...

I refuse to order anything online from the US that does not ship via the USPS. FedEx / UPS are crooks WRT charges crossing the border. I have had UPS dunn me for taxes and duties after delivery when they were paid up front by the shipper. I have been charged $60 brokerage fee by UPS on a $10 item. Crooks.

Any vendor who does not allow USPS as a shipment option or who charges more than actual postage or who only offers more expensive expedite options is not at all serious about servicing Canadian customers and, IMO, should be avoided.

It boggles my mind (I priced something out) that a vendor will offer free shipping on a $100 order to ship within the US, but shipment charges to Canada double the cost by adding an additional $100 in shipping. Yes, I have seen that. Criminal.

I have seen items online at half the cost of local - not just scuba - that because of bad business practices wind up costing more delivered. It is part of the eBay mentality - make the price look low and hose the buyer on shipping costs.

Slighly more on topic, it is my opinion that $20 is a ridiculous charge for shipping a flashlight. I would not pay that.

Not that I have an opinion or anything :D

YMMV

I will get one when I can drop the shipping by combining items. I will have one one day :thumb:

what about shipping things to yourself at a hotel when you're traveling for business?

Slightly, but not completely, off-topic...

I refuse to order anything online from the US that does not ship via the USPS. FedEx / UPS are crooks WRT charges crossing the border. I have had UPS dunn me for taxes and duties after delivery when they were paid up front by the shipper. I have been charged $60 brokerage fee by UPS on a $10 item. Crooks.

Any vendor who does not allow USPS as a shipment option or who charges more than actual postage or who only offers more expensive expedite options is not at all serious about servicing Canadian customers and, IMO, should be avoided.

It boggles my mind (I priced something out) that a vendor will offer free shipping on a $100 order to ship within the US, but shipment charges to Canada double the cost by adding an additional $100 in shipping. Yes, I have seen that. Criminal.

I have seen items online at half the cost of local - not just scuba - that because of bad business practices wind up costing more delivered. It is part of the eBay mentality - make the price look low and hose the buyer on shipping costs.

Slighly more on topic, it is my opinion that $20 is a ridiculous charge for shipping a flashlight. I would not pay that.

Not that I have an opinion or anything :D

YMMV

Mike and DRIS have always treated me well. This item's shipping just costs too much for me to buy. I am not writing them off for this nor am I going to hold anything against them. I think that would be foolish of me. They are a stand up shop IMO. YMMV

what about shipping things to yourself at a hotel when you're traveling for business?

I do not always have enough notice but that is a most excellent idea. Reno in a couple weeks possibly.

Back
Top Bottom