50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to blame it on brain creaks. Unfortunately I can't. ADD maybe since I overlooked your earlier reply.

But, I'm putting it on the list for my next SE trip.
Give us a holler when you're headed this way - perhaps we can join you & show you our "ghost fleet" :D
Rick

Thanks Rick. Our lives have had a bit of turmoil but we see the end of the tunnel and we are making plans for the 3 months of summer and the Fall. Right now Hawaii, East Coast and Puget Sound. More to come.

Just found this.

53 going on 14.
I think staying "on the job" keeps me young, actually my guys. I'd love to retire to where the money is but I just can't pull the trigger because it means leaving them.

Live on Staten Island, NYC but dive in warm tropical waters. About 350 dives so far since '99. One of the best parts of diving, for me anyway, is the exotic places I probably never would have seen, had I not been there to dive.

...the next thing the mods ought to do, besides that Friends stuff, is make this a large-font section so's the geez can read this stuff more easily.
I agree. But I was writing readable and got hammered unmercifully for it. :D Started from the local friendly greeter too.:blinking:

Just found this tread also, damn insomnia...

51 yrs old, diving since 2004 (I've always been a late bloomer)
Gainesville VA soon to be retired in Roatan
Maui, St. Marten, Sharm el Sheikh, Roatan & the Millbrook Quarry
Fav Dive Shop would be Dockside Dive Center at Coco View, Roatan
Master Diver
next trip to the Big Island

Has any one seen the article on diving and "age" (just a number) in the recent issue of Dive Training. I've only read a part of it (didn't have my bifocals with me when I picked it up).

Lessee:
58 and counting.
diving since 1971 ("renegade" dive when I taught myself how to do it) certified since 2000; no dives in-between.
Favorite place to dive has to be Curaçao/Bonaire.
Favorite dive shop has to be the one I work at fixin' regulators.
I'm an SDI AI/DM with NO plans to go any further up the ladder. Well, I might go for advanced nitrox...

Found this thread late; hell--found everything late.
Will go back to my dive shop tomorrow and let 'em know they have to call me "G.O.D." from now on.

Grumpy old diva--heh, that's me. Grumpy 'cause I don't get to dive enough--which is absolutely tragic when you live in Florida!

Hey, I'm new. 20 years diving, doing reefs and the occasional wreck when time and money permit. I'm close enough to WPB that I can drive down and back in one day, and that's about the best I can do. I like Pura Vida down there, but Abernethys is running a close second.

I'd like to get out more, seein' as I'm mostly unemployed, but there is a direct relationship between unemployment and lack of funds, so I'm...

...down and out in Ocala, FL.

Cheers!

I am 56 but don't feel old or grumpy.
I live in Reno and now mostly dive the mountain lakes in the Sierra Nevada.

I was certified in 1968 (NAUI, NASDS, and YMCA). Yes, I do have a pretty good vintage collection, mostly bought new. Dove California for the first 16 years, then the job took me to Chicago for 13 years where I dove the Great Lakes and local quarries. My employer imploded on itself in 2002 so I took a new job in Reno.

Current cert levels
Recreational: PADI AI (for fifteen years)
Technical: NSS-CDS and NACD Full Cave (1992), DSAT and TDI Advanced Trimix (2007), KISS CCR (TDI 2007) both Sport and Classic.

Dive Shop: Sierra Diving Center, Reno, Nevada

I am active in the instructional area, and local technical diving scene.

:)Still lots of us around...I've been teaching since '76, NAUI 3875, semi retired and thought it would be great to start a new dive operation in Guanaja...so it's now up and running.. HOME : Coral Bay Beach and Ocean Club - Guanaja, Honduras ... come and dive with us older guys lots of experience, lots to see...

fly to Roatan and we;ll pick you up in our 37' dory and toke you the Guanaja...maybe even dive at Barbaretta on the way across....

Bill Blakey, NAUI 3875:14:
Coral Bay Dive Resort and DiveTime

Back
Top Bottom