50% of the time. Why Me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pimbura

Registered
Reaction score
I've done stupid things. I have watched other people do stupid things. I have been in life threatening situations that I caused and that others caused.
There is no substitute for a calm head, training, and experience.

That being said, the most common error I have seen in 30+ years of diving is poor gas management. E.g. People run out of air. Actually, I have seen this so often, that I now dive with a HP 120 and a 20 cubic foot pony. When I head down with someone on an aluminum 80, I have 140+ cubic feet of air on my back. I often surface with nearly 2000 psi in my primary and my pony untouched.

Two out of the last four dives I have been on, I brought my dive buddy up on my octopus.

The first of those two dives:
Old dive buddy shows up with short fills on both his main tank and his pony. Elects to make the dive anyway (over 100 feet deep at night). His light is weak as well. He didn't check it before leaving home and his son has been playing with the light. The batteries aren't in good shape. This is utterly out of character for this guy. I still don't know what was going on with him that night.

Dive buddy shows me his computer at 110 fsw and the tank pressure is flashing ZERO.
We are in a slight deco situation.
I bring him up, through deco on my octopus and I switch to my pony near the end of the deco stop. I have 700 psi in my primary and 2,200 in my pony when we exit the water. Both of his tanks are empty.

The second dive:
Different dive buddy, different night. Shows up with full tank for deep dive at night. During the dive, I ask repeatedly to see my buddy's pressure gauge. He looks at his gauge and signals "OK". He does not show me his gauge.
9 minutes on the bottom at 135 fsw and I grab buddy's pressure gauge to look at it. He has less than 250 PSI. I bring him up on my octopus / main tank. He loses control of his drysuit at the deco stop and corks to the surface. I remain on deco for 10 minutes and surface to find him shedding his gear in the parking lot.
I advise the guy to hang around for a half hour to 45 minutes before leaving so I can keep an eye on him. The drive from the water is up a steep, long hill and he missed the deco stop. We discuss this, he agrees and I start pulling off the rest of my gear. Just as I put my tank in the car, I see his truck drive off, you guessed it, up the hill.

In my opinion:

Neither diver had or used gas management skills. Diver number one blamed his problem on too small a tank and within a week, had purchased a HP120. He is also the guy that bought an air-integrated computer to do the gas management for him. Computers are worthless if you ignore what they are telling you.

Big air is no substitute for a lack of gas management skills. It just means that the next time he runs out of air, he will be in a lot more trouble because of the increased bottom time.
Buddy number two is a nice guy. I hope he finds a dive buddy that he respects enough to listen to. I hope he finds this person before he gets bent or killed.

I do not dive with big air for me. I dive with big air for the margin of safety it provides my dive buddy. I can manage my gas.

Do you not discuss the dive plan and turn pressures with your buddy in your pre-dive planning? Sounds like you need better buddies.

Wendy:
Do you not discuss the dive plan and turn pressures with your buddy in your pre-dive planning? Sounds like you need better buddies.
Certainly. We go over the dive plan, compass headings, bottom time, currents and surface conditions, water temperature, check condition of each other's gear, have a pre-determined turnaround (bottom time or PSI, whichever comes first), etc.
I'm starting to feel like a baby sitter. I certainly have a tremendous respect for the instructors out there. B.C.

Yeah, find better buddies. I hear there are plenty of good ones in your neck of the woods, and many on this very board.

So if you discussed all this stuff in the pre-dive discussion, we have to assume that these guys just ignored you and didnt realise the danger they could cause you and them with these air management practices. BTW, deep deco diving with a buddy on an 80??? Or did you find yourself in that situation, ie did you plan deco with that gas?

How often have you dived with these buddies, have they ever done this to you before?

Sounds like two classic examples of why Rule # 1 is Rule 1 and not Rule 2, or 3, or so on.

Although you should have thumbed the first dive before you got in - that's what a pre-dive check is for.

There is no excuse for this kind of gas management and these guys knew it, note quick exit of first buddy. They do seem like deep dives to do on an 80. Like the other asked did you plan a Deco stop? And I am always looking for buddies, I'm in Seattle.

Pimbura:
Certainly. We go over the dive plan...
So now I'm wondering - if a plan is ignored - why bother planning? The low pressure should have been caught and the dive modified accordingly during:
Pimbura:
...check condition of each other's gear...
and the OOG situations could easily have been avoided by sticking with:
Pimbura:
...have a pre-determined turnaround (bottom time or PSI, whichever comes first)...
You certainly should not need to babysit, but it sounds like a few of your "buddies" need some mentoring...

Pimbura:
That being said, the most common error I have seen in 30+ years of diving is poor gas management. E.g. People run out of air.

Poor gas management is only a part of the problems that contributed to these difficulties. You need to take some time to consider the other part, because based on your description I don't believe they're limited to the dives in question.

As regards to the first dive, when your buddy showed up with short fills, perhaps that would've been a good time to consider an alternative (shallower) dive profile. When you realized his light was in less than optimum conditions, that would've been a good time to consider cancelling the dive.

Under no circumstances was the decision to continue the dive to the point of going into deco a good decision.

That's something you had control of before the dive ever started.

You don't mention the second diver's training and experience level ... but based on your description of how he reacted I have to wonder if he had any business being at 135 feet and 10 minutes into deco in the first place. Again, while your observations about gas management skills is a valid one, it's incumbant upon you ... and every diver who's going to dive these aggressive profiles ... to know your buddy's skills, training, and experience prior to doing a dive like that. Otherwise, you're playing a dangerous version of roulette. Personally, if I ask someone their gas pressure and they flash me the OK sign I ask again ... and if I don't get the response I'm looking for the second time, I give them the turnaround signal. That's simple self-preservation.

You have some control over the situation ... you should consider applying it. It's great that you have a large cylinder and a pony to get your out of situations like these ... but it would be better if you used your own judgement to avoid getting into them in the first place.

Remember the old saying ... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's better to avoid these situations than to fix the problem once it manifests itself.

I think gas management skills are less a part of what caused this problem than a lack of good judgment. Rather than talking about your buddy's poor skills, consider what you can do to avoid these situations in the first place.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Pim!

You've been diving a lot long than I have, but I've had jerks for buddies, too - as well as a first stage reg failure. {If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any? :eyebrow: }

TSA rules prohit Pony Bottles on planes, but they haven't enforced the rule on me yet, and I carry mine on every dive. Sometimes I have to move to it so my buddy won't exhaust my tank too fast after depleting his.

Getting better buddies is certainly not always an option, or sometimes we help newbies learn, or - equipment surprises do happen...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom