5/6 mm vs 7 mm wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brookieman10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I try to dive a combo of Canadian early summer to early fall St Lawrence river diving (64 F) and Caribbean (78 F) diving. I usually find the 7 mm wetsuit hard to move in yet have been cold on a multidive day in the caribbean in a 3mm wetsuit.

I need to buy another wet suit.

Will a 5/6 mm with a vest do both or should I buy one thick and one thin?
No dry suit as of yet.
Or other ideas?

Thanks

I completely agree with jepuskar. Heck, I live in VA, many miles warmer than Canada, and I never dive in anything but a 7mm. Even in Aug/Sept!

Personally, I have a 7mm for local diving, and a 3mm for the Caribbean, although it seems like you might prefer a 5/3 for the Caribbean. I usually wear a beanie when I'm in the 3mm. It's amazing that just wearing a beanie can do wonders for repetitive dives. They're cheap too. It's easy to cool off a warm wetsuit, but impossible to make a cold one warmer.

Mike

Hi

I agree w the others. I'd get a 7mm for Canada or even a dry suit if you want to extend your divng period in the St Laurence before it freezes over. I'd recommend either a 3 mm or possibly a 5/3 or simular for the tropics. If you are lucky you might find a 7mm fully, with extra body and hood, which could be used on top of your 3mm in case you get cold. Thanks what I do.

Hope this helps

Bought a 7mm Bare sgs arctic
can't wait to see if its too warm :wink:

Most of the people I've spoke with here in Canada say one warm & one cold

QUOTE=Sylvie]Hi

I agree w the others. I'd get a 7mm for Canada or even a dry suit if you want to extend your divng period in the St Laurence before it freezes over. I'd recommend either a 3 mm or possibly a 5/3 or simular for the tropics. If you are lucky you might find a 7mm fully, with extra body and hood, which could be used on top of your 3mm in case you get cold. Thanks what I do.

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom