(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
As of March 23rd, 2005, there had been two scuba deaths total in FL, according to an article in the cyber diver news network.

"It was the second scuba diving fatality in Florida this year. Lawrence Thurman, 60, died while wreck diving on the Duane."

So this was number three, and the first this year on the Grove.

Interesting. I was told by the DM on my boat, he had just gotten a call from his girlfriend on another boat, that she had a dive fatality -heart attack at a different site close by. He also told me there was a dive fatality the day before at the Grove but I don't know what Op that was. That was a year ago Feb. My guess is the fatality number is higher than a few.

The distances were too great and the sea conditions too rough. The Captain instead chose to concentrate his efforts on moving the boat.

I was out there the morning of and he made the right call.

Island Dog:
Pilot Fish...I see that you are going to Belize this year. I have been to Belize several times and I will stack up the professionalism and preparedness of the the dive ops in the Upper Keys against operators in Belize anytime.

If the situation on the SG concerns you...maybe you should stay home.

Joined the ScubaBoard on May 5th this year? hmmmmmmmmm, that not too long ago, is it? :eyebrow: Do I smell something odd here ? :crafty:

Island Dog:
The distances were too great and the sea conditions too rough. The Captain instead chose to concentrate his efforts on moving the boat.

I was out there the morning of and he made the right call.

Do you know this Capt personally? Where you on that boat?

I thought the Capt was unable to move the boat?

pilot fish:
Do you know this Capt personally? Where you on that boat?

I thought the Capt was unable to move the boat?

Where did you get your information?--scubaboard:D

pilot fish:
Allow me to walk you through this, String. Diver signals distress at mooring ball, boat Capt says he told him to stay put and he'd get to him when he could. The distress of the diver was immeadiate, since he went off the mooring ball, he could not wait for the boat Capt?, and sunk below and died . That does not sound like anything was in place for that type of incident.

Absolute rubbish. That doesnt tell you if theres anything in place or not. If the incident response needed the diver to stay onto the ball then the plan was put in action, if the boat was unable to move for any reason then quite probably a plan was in action.

Just because someone had an incident DOESNT mean there is no plan for dealing with that incident, merely that the plan was no succesful this particular time. Nothing is perfect, there is a risk associated with everything. The only way to ensure a rescue plan is perfect is not to dive or go near a boat.

String:
For what its worth in July im in florida and desperately want to dive the grove but only have 4 days in Key Largo. Hopefully i'll manage it. What do i want off a dive operator? An efficient taxi to and from the site with a sensible site briefing. Im well aware of the risks involved and well aware that im expected to look after myself. If the dive operator can get me there and back smoothly then thats all i expect off them and i'll be happy.

String,

Let me know if you need a buddy for the SG dive in July. I'll dive it with you. We were just on the Grove on Saturday. It was a beautiful dive with almost NO current and 100+ viz.

Mempilot

pilot fish:
Yes, it does sound argumentative. If he doesn't think my suggestion has merit, it might not, then why doesn't he offer his own?

Pilot Fish, with all due respect, a lot of what you are suggesting and implying with endless, pointless questions does not have merit. If you want to see what plans of action are in effect, go ask your local dive shop. If you want to see more of what happens in difficult situations, go diving more.

Your inquisitiveness belies your inexperience and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. However, you have asked enough questions to satisfy Socrates on this matter. It's time to use what you've learned in practical application. Go diving with a reputable shop and ask questions while you do it.

pilot fish:
With that type of thinking we would never have landed on the moon.

We don't know what instructions he got at the mooring ball, or why he was unable to hold on, or washed off?

You don't know what instruction he got on the mooring ball because you are not listening. (reading). Ok. for argument sake, the Captain could be lying along with the other members on the boat. But we have to start somewhere.

pilot fish:
Joined the ScubaBoard on May 5th this year? hmmmmmmmmm, that not too long ago, is it? :eyebrow: Do I smell something odd here ? :crafty:

What on God's green earth does the date that a person joined the ScubaBoard have to do with anything?

A feeble defense, at best . . . not unlike, "I know you are, but what am I?" A bit sophmoric, don't you think?

If J. Ceausteau had made the comment and had joined the ScubaBoard only today, would that negate his experience?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom