(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrisB:
I think part of the trouble is that people are overconfident. I'm sure that until I heard the "truth" about this dive site, I would have been confident in diving there. Now that other information has come to light (e.g. strength of currents, etc.) I'm certain I won't be diving there for quite some time.

This comes back to the dive ops. Quite often they fail to disclose the dangers associated with a dive site and say "Advanced Divers Only" -- well, really, what is an advanced diver? I've been on the same boat as an AOW with 100 dives and it was obvious I was more comfortable diving than he was, despite being barely certified (10 dives).

Something that may be good for these dive ops to consider -- the principle of informed consent. It's the same principle you agree to when you go in for surgery. You are informed of the risks and choose to take them... and they're not generic. They are specific to the procedure you are undertaking. We all know we could die from any one of a multitude of things while diving. But, we should also be informed when a situation is going to make one or more of those factors more prominent.

You touch on some very good points that have been suggested already in this thread. It is the nature of the populous.... some divers are over confident while others are diffiident, regardless of ability. And it goes further as to which dive shop one should trust to tell you the truth about a dive site.

It is a very good analogy to pose a dive shop as a surgeon. As with surgery, you should get a second opinion. This can be as easy as a phone call on the day of a dive. Call a few shops, get their opinion on sea conditions, and when you go out, see who's closest to what you observe. Of course, sea conditions can be very subjective. Judge wave height when standing at a low spot closest to the waterline of the vessel (the dive platform perhaps). Compare wave hieght to your own height.

A dive shop that gives you a lot of hastle about wanting to see your log book may not be such a bad thing. A fastidious dive operation may give you a clue as to how the whole engine works. Where I work, the front desk is the front line of defense in preventing a diver's self destruction (God bless them for their work). A lot of questions are asked and rules are rarely bent. Yes, people get upset when told they cannot dive the SG or another advanced dive and maybe we turn away divers that could perform adroitly. But, what else can a dive Op do? After all, the whole purpose is to get people out to enjoy themselves without endagering themselves.

From a dive Op standpoint... It would be very nice if divers were honest about their ability. Why does the front desk have to be the front line of defense against a divers distruction. Far too often divers arrive with the latest and greatest gear, delivering story after story from Belize to Figi and when the time for talk is over, skills are evedently lacking. How is a dive shop to know the difference between a competent OW diver and a pretentious Advanced novice who's only dived in less than challenging conditions? This crux will not be solved on this website, but think about it the next time you think you're being hastled over proof of your experience.

On the other hand, if a dive Op delilvers you to a site that you feel has been misrepresented and more dangerous than you signed up for, demand a refund. If you get a lot of flack and a run around, consider another shop on your next trip and consider yourself wiser than a dead man.

cmgmg:
BaitedStorm, great thread but I can't imagine any germane point can be raised except for the operator's statement and, perhaps, a coroner's or some other official report. Had enough?
That is an understatement without a doubt. I seriously didn't expect to see a group of adults continuously point fingers, and argue with each other. My thoughts behind the thread were pure, I assure you. I actually believed that as divers we might in deed learn something useful from this story.

I absolutely hate that the Captain is taking so much heat on this and I can't help but to feel partly responsible for this because of my original post (now deleted). I think it needs to be said (probably has been already somewhere) everyone has the right to their opinion, but until you've actually been out there working, you have no clue what it's like. Divers do some really silly things, some are accidental, others are just plain stupidly planned. Most of the time I am required to make a judgment call when it comes to safety. Sometimes I have people who disagree and that's ok, but I'm still going to call it. Here's a great example.

I had a group of divers going down to a max depth of 70 feet. I have two groups on the boat, going to two different places. I'm DM'ing for group one (group two has their Instructor and 2 of their own DM's and are being dropped much more shallow). I know that everyone in my group is at least AOW. During my dive briefing I go over the basic stuff with the group and ask who is diving tables and who is diving computers, everyone tells me they are on computers (I ask them individually). I give the divers their maximum bottom time (just in case they have forgotten how to work tables), one for air divers (I had 3 of them) and the other for my nitrox guys. I explain the way the reef runs and where to locate the most bugs for those seeking them.

All is well and we here Dive! Dive! Dive! some of the divers hang close to me, some of them venture out searching for their lobster dinner. The reef runs true North and South and had a North current kicking so the divers will continue to meet up throughout the dive. Everyone is buddied up people they know. When the time gets close for the air divers to go up, I give the two that chose to stay with me, the signal to start ascending and up they went. I continue the dive with the nitrox divers. When our time is almost up, I start rounding up everyone with me when I notice two divers hanging down by a ledge trying to get a lobster. I sent my group up, and went over to get the other two divers attention. You can only imagine my surprise when the one divers turns (tank to me) and low and behold, he's on air. I signal for him to go up, he looks at his spg and shakes his head NO! Of course this made me a little less then thrilled and again I signal for him to a go up. Trying not to get totally pissed, I thought, well maybe this guy is narced at um.....50-60 feet.... not likely, but just maybe. I tapped his shoulder and told him we were going up as I pointed to my watch (I use a computer, but like having my watch as not only a back up, but also a visual for divers to know that I'm referring to the time). Can you believe this guy gave me a nasty look, and pointed to one, very large lobster hiding. The very second he did that, I was annoyed. I dumped his air out of his BCD grabbed his chest strap, got him mask to mask, and started ascending with him. He got the point that time and stopped resisting.

We get to the safety stop and I sat there with him for as long as air would allow. We hit the surface and I didn't say to much right away (I was still more than a little peeved). After sitting down and speaking with the diver he did apologize to me and said he just didn't realize how long he had been down. That statement completely baffled me because even the "bend-o-matic" computers would have been screaming. I asked if his computer failed. I kid you not, he turned over to his buddy and said "hey ******, is your computer working ok?" mouth gaping open, I asked him where his computer was and was informed that he not only didn't have a computer, he also didn't have a watch. His buddy was on Nitrox and they were sharing a computer.

Had this diver died, take a real quick guess at who "they" would be pointing those blaming fingers at...

So.... while some will continue to blame regardless to what anyone says (most likely for lack of something better to do) realize no mater how badly some may wish it to be so, you can NOT be responsible for every diver. You do your very best to keep them same and happy without looking like your keeping them safe and happy (not always an easy task) and trust your judgment. There are good divers and there are bad divers. This guy was willing to risk his life over a lobster.
I can also tell you this much, even knowing what happened (should that diver have died) wouldn't have been my fault, I would have taking it pretty terrible. I certainly wouldn't want my integrity being slammed all over the place by everyone who knew absolutely nothing about what really happened that day.

I still believe there will be thing we can all learn from this tragic event. We were are told we would get a statement when the investigation was over, I think perhaps a few of us need to muster up a tad bit of patience. Making accusations will not force anyone into making that statement prematurely.

baitedstorm:
That is an understatement without a doubt. I seriously didn't expect to see a group of adults continuously point fingers, and argue with each other. My thoughts behind the thread were pure, I assure you. I actually believed that as divers we might in deed learn something useful from this story.

I absolutely hate that the Captain is taking so much heat on this and I can't help but to feel partly responsible for this because of my original post (now deleted). I think it needs to be said (probably has been already somewhere) everyone has the right to their opinion, but until you've actually been out there working, you have no clue what it's like. Divers do some really silly things, some are accidental, others are just plain stupidly planned. Most of the time I am required to make a judgment call when it comes to safety. Sometimes I have people who disagree and that's ok, but I'm still going to call it. Here's a great example.

I had a group of divers going down to a max depth of 70 feet. I have two groups on the boat, going to two different places. I'm DM'ing for group one (group two has their Instructor and 2 of their own DM's and are being dropped much more shallow). I know that everyone in my group is at least AOW. During my dive briefing I go over the basic stuff with the group and ask who is diving tables and who is diving computers, everyone tells me they are on computers (I ask them individually). I give the divers their maximum bottom time (just in case they have forgotten how to work tables), one for air divers (I had 3 of them) and the other for my nitrox guys. I explain the way the reef runs and where to locate the most bugs for those seeking them.

All is well and we here Dive! Dive! Dive! some of the divers hang close to me, some of them venture out searching for their lobster dinner. The reef runs true North and South and had a North current kicking so the divers will continue to meet up throughout the dive. Everyone is buddied up people they know. When the time gets close for the air divers to go up, I give the two that chose to stay with me, the signal to start ascending and up they went. I continue the dive with the nitrox divers. When our time is almost up, I start rounding up everyone with me when I notice two divers hanging down by a ledge trying to get a lobster. I sent my group up, and went over to get the other two divers attention. You can only imagine my surprise when the one divers turns (tank to me) and low and behold, he's on air. I signal for him to go up, he looks at his spg and shakes his head NO! Of course this made me a little less then thrilled and again I signal for him to a go up. Trying not to get totally pissed, I thought, well maybe this guy is narced at um.....50-60 feet.... not likely, but just maybe. I tapped his shoulder and told him we were going up as I pointed to my watch (I use a computer, but like having my watch as not only a back up, but also a visual for divers to know that I'm referring to the time). Can you believe this guy gave me a nasty look, and pointed to one, very large lobster hiding. The very second he did that, I was annoyed. I dumped his air out of his BCD grabbed his chest strap, got him mask to mask, and started ascending with him. He got the point that time and stopped resisting.

We get to the safety stop and I sat there with him for as long as air would allow. We hit the surface and I didn't say to much right away (I was still more than a little peeved). After sitting down and speaking with the diver he did apologize to me and said he just didn't realize how long he had been down. That statement completely baffled me because even the "bend-o-matic" computers would have been screaming. I asked if his computer failed. I kid you not, he turned over to his buddy and said "hey ******, is your computer working ok?" mouth gaping open, I asked him where his computer was and was informed that he not only didn't have a computer, he also didn't have a watch. His buddy was on Nitrox and they were sharing a computer.

Had this diver died, take a real quick guess at who "they" would be pointing those blaming fingers at...

So.... while some will continue to blame regardless to what anyone says (most likely for lack of something better to do) realize no mater how badly some may wish it to be so, you can NOT be responsible for every diver. You do your very best to keep them same and happy without looking like your keeping them safe and happy (not always an easy task) and trust your judgment. There are good divers and there are bad divers. This guy was willing to risk his life over a lobster.
I can also tell you this much, even knowing what happened (should that diver have died) wouldn't have been my fault, I would have taking it pretty terrible. I certainly wouldn't want my integrity being slammed all over the place by everyone who knew absolutely nothing about what really happened that day.

I still believe there will be thing we can all learn from this tragic event. We were are told we would get a statement when the investigation was over, I think perhaps a few of us need to muster up a tad bit of patience. Making accusations will not force anyone into making that statement prematurely.

You are to be congratulated for starting this thoughtful thread so we all might learn from it. You are also to be commended for your courage and concern for that stupid diver. He owes you a hearty thanks, at the very least.

Some have accused the posters that are not willing to immeadiately blame the poor dead diver with condeming the Capt. We are not, I have seen no outright condemnation of the Capt, but questions. What has happened in this thread is those of us that raise questions, [ aren't we allowed to do that?] in an attempt to understand it, have been accused of Capt bashing. That is not so. It's as if they think if they continue to say we are blaming the Capt some posters will think that is the case. It is not. We are looking at it from both sides. The poor diver is not here to tell us what instructions he got at the surface so we have to rely on what the Capt said he told the distressed diver. I don't automatically take the Capt's word and automactically blame the deceased diver. We have to wait till all the info is in, but we can, and should, ask questions. That's how we learn.

It might indeed turn out that it was the divers fault, and it may not. We don't know, yet.

pilot fish:
I don't automatically take the Capt's word
Then why bother asking the question? Or is it just bait?
Rick

baitedstorm:
...I still believe there will be thing we can all learn from this tragic event. We were are told we would get a statement when the investigation was over, I think perhaps a few of us need to muster up a tad bit of patience. Making accusations will not force anyone into making that statement prematurely.

I join others on this board for commending you on your actions on that dive. It seems that the perfect dive charter would have you as the divermaster and TW as the captain. That way, if I get into trouble underwater, you're there and if I get into trouble on the surface, TW will galantly risk all to save me. Seems like I winner business to me...

The thread seems to be stuck (for a variety of reasons ... maybe lack of information is main one) on several issues (there may be more but ...):

1. Diver responsbility (e.g., training, qualification, physical conditioning, etc.)
2. Captain's/Dive Operator responsibility (what did he do? Did you do enough?)
3. Dive Site/Equipment Issues (should there be safeguards at the site to prevent this, did the BC, o-ring, computer fail?)
4. Creditability of the captain, rescuers, diver and anyone else (the Mt. Everest story ... trust no one).

The last one seems to be the one that's gotten everyone riled up. When a veteran poster states that "..These guys screwed the pooch not jumping in, swimming over, dumping the weight belt, and inflating..." THAT's a condenmation, in my book, of the captain.

The points raised regarding the first three have been VERY interesting and informative. I'm not sure anything raised regarding point #4 really adds anything but that's might be the way people from Florida, NYC or whatever think nowadays.

You're right, we all need to be a bit more patient. BTW, I haven't seen any post from the reporter (at least, I haven't recognized any). The reporter has emailed me and has said that the choroner's report will be available but it will take some time.

Good luck with all your future dives....may they be less stressful? :wink:

Rick Murchison:
Then why bother asking the question? Or is it just bait?
Rick

The reason we are asking questions is because the diver is dead and unable to tell us anything. We are also asking questions to learn from this tragedy. The key to my statement, Rick, is that I don't AUTOMATICALLY take the Capt's word, as some have done. As I've said, the Capt might be correct, and he might not. The deceased diver is not here to tell us. I don't understand the bait thing?

pilot fish:
I don't understand the bait thing?
There's nothing wrong with asking a question because you want information, but if you ask a question and are not prepared to believe the answer, why are you asking the question?
The possibilities are only (1) Because you're trying to set a trap, or (2) Because you're trying to start or continue an argument.
Either way, you're not seeking information, but are up to something else.
The proper response to the Captain's answer is "Thank you, sir," not endless second guessing and Monday morning quarterbacking.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
There's nothing wrong with asking a question because you want information, but if you ask a question and are not prepared to believe the answer, why are you asking the question?
The possibilities are only (1) Because you're trying to set a trap, or (2) Because you're trying to start or continue an argument.
Either way, you're not seeking information, but are up to something else.
The proper response to the Captain's answer is "Thank you, sir," not endless second guessing and Monday morning quarterbacking.
Rick

Let me ease your mind, that is not the case, nor, I think, is it the case with anyone else that has not fallen into lock step with the Capt against the deseased diver.

The proper answer the the Capt is, Yes sir, thank you sir? That was the case when I was in the Marines, but I'm not in the Marines any more. :)

pilot fish:
Let me ease your mind, that is not the case, nor, I think, is it the case with anyone else that has not fallen into lock step with the Capt against the deseased diver.

The proper answer the the Capt is, Yes sir, thank you sir? That was the case when I was in the Marines, but I'm not in the Marines any more. :)

I think he means just being repectful. He didnt say you had to say "yes sir thank you sir". Just a nice Thank you sir would do. You dont have to be in the marines to have manners.

pilot fish:

No one is in lockstep with anyone. There is an ongoing investigation being conducted by the authorities having jurisdiction. Second guessing and kangaroo court by people that know none of the facts does not serve a purpose.

"But what if he's lying" repeated over and over serves no purpose.

Back
Top Bottom