(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The huge list of claims and conclusions where he lists blames "captains fault", "buddys fault" "divers fault" etc.

In one post he claims he knows it was preventable which is an enourmous leap of logic given no details are known.

Actually, Occam's Razor fits this nicely. What requires less assumption? That an experienced Captain who has done this trip four times a week for the last 3 years without incident was not experienced enough, or that a diver who was unprepared (as evidenced by the weight belt, BC, lack of buddy) did a dive beyond his experience level?

sharpenu:
Actually, Occam's Razor fits this nicely. What requires less assumption? That an experienced Captain who has done this trip four times a week for the last 3 years without incident was not experienced enough, or that a diver who was unprepared (as evidenced by the weight belt, BC, lack of buddy) did a dive beyond his experience level?
Occam's Razor is a bunch of bull. Honestly, the simplest solution is rarely the correct solution, because it almost never takes into consideration all the extenuating circumstances.

Let's just say he had a heart attack (that's an easy explanation).

Now, let's say the captain actually went and rescued him. Would he still have died? Probably -- apparently CPR is only effective in 70% of the cases.

Would he have had better odds? Yup... because 30% is better than the 0% he got without the rescue.

While the captain did not *cause* the situation, he was in a position where he could have probably increased the fellow's odds at survival... even if only slightly.

Tom, Your post has a lot of assumption, speculation, and crystal ball in it:
Of course. I put myself in their place.
"That sounds about right...", "The diver did...", "...watch him drown?", "...there was a 60 second window of opportunity to get to the guy.", "It's entirely possible...", "For all I know...", "...nothing got done...", etc...
Yet, you are so quick to condemn the boat crew, even though none of the information in this thread is an actual account of what really happened.
Well, from what I read, no one got wet trying to get the guy. Just motoring the boat over just was not going to cut it. Does that sound like condemnation? Yeah, kinda. I drove boats for a long time, been on a lot of different boats, and seen every type of captain out there. You're a pilot - after a while, you know what pilots have the right stuff and which pilots you'd prefer not to have the stick with you onboard.
What if the investigation identifies an OOA at depth and a subsequent rapid ascent to the surface causing an embolism?
Entirely possible, and not a damn thing anyone could do. It still tears up the crew even when they do everything possible. I thought I had mentioned this possibility in the middle of my ramble anyway. It sure would help appearances though if they had attempted to get the guy before he sank.
Even if the guy was dead, better the boat should bear him back to port than someone else have to get them.
What if the diver makes it to the surface in really bad shape, but without any real witts to do the right things to stay bouyant? ie drop weights, orally inflate, properly communicate with waiving arms that there is a problem
Well, the diving professional in the boat saw the guy on the surface in extremis. And from everything I've seen, not a whole lot was done to effect any kind of rescue. What's arguable there?
If the captain could not do anything in a given timeframe - lack of conditioning let's say, well something's wrong with that operation. It's a fact that there are some strong currents out there. Emergency plans-of-action sometimes come in handy.
Yes, what if's.
Yeppers - not to be too cold, but we're here, and the diver is not.
Why point fingers in this thread at anyone right now, before an actually diagnosis of the events is revealed?
I'm just pointing out the inadequacies of the crew response to the situation. They saw the guy, yelled to the guy, and watched the guy disappear. It's not like they were on one end of the 510' Spiegel Grove and saw this tiny little wiggling dot at the other end of the wreck - it sounds like the guy was next ball over.
If you are wrong, you've done an injustice to that operation.
I'm not blaming the captain for the guy's death - for whatever reason is the determinate cause-of-death, the diver assumed a certain amount of risk undertaking a dive on the Spiegel Grove.
Now if it turns out that the captain launched a rescue board but couldn't reach the diver in time before he sank or swim the diver down but couldn't get there in time, I'll congratulate the captain on his valiant efforts.
Wear the shoes and see if you'd enjoy the types of posts being thrown out here with a total disregard for what may have actually happened.
As long as they spell my name right...

I dont know of course because I wasnt there but I would bet the captain and all other ppl involved feel pretty crappy as it is without being dragged thru the mud by ppl who are playing the blame game. A little empathy in this kind of thread would go a long way.

ScubaTwo:
I dont know of course because I wasnt there but I would bet the captain and all other ppl involved feel pretty crappy as it is without being dragged thru the mud by ppl who are playing the blame game. A little empathy in this kind of thread would go a long way.
Empathy for the Captain? Nah, there are risks of being in business as well as rewards.

Personally I'd sooner feel empathy for Wendy's, but I'm sure they were more pleased at my eating there 2x before the finger felon was caught :wink:

Having said that, I do believe all deserve fair treatment, including the unfortunate doctor.

Also mind that I'm sure many more people have discussed this accident than Scuba Board viewers. People still read the papers.

MoonWrasse:
Empathy for the Captain? Nah, there are risks of being in business as well as rewards.

For everyone involved as I said in my earlier post. And divers take risks also, along with the rewards.

ScubaTwo:
For everyone involved as I said in my earlier post. And divers take risks also, along with the rewards.

Ok, I declare today, Friday the 13th of May 2005, worldwide empathy day!

Disclaimer: In no way in doing so you may feel that I am attacking anyone, nor do I represent the official views of this medium :)

MoonWrasse:

Disclaimer: In no way in doing so you may feel that I am attacking anyone, nor do I represent the official views of this medium :)

Thats very sad

MoonWrasse:

is there an official logo I can put on my web site?

Back
Top Bottom