(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an added point to post above:

In 1995, a study was done to look at CO2 retention in divers doing hyberbaric exercise while breathing ean40. CO2 retention was not found to be 'globally' aggravated by breathing nitrox down to 100 fsw. However, they did find that some individuals were so affected.

So, in some cases, higher O2 mixes can be a cause of CO2 retention under exercise, and CO2 can be a cause for a higher dose of O2 to the brain.

In the case of this diver, it shouldn't have been a factor.

I don't know. I haven't read or seen any accident analysis or autopsy results. If he embolised, it will be obvious and I'm sure they will post the findings.

pilot fish:
Are there any reports of him bolting to the surface? Is it possible he ran out of air at depth, had a gear malfunction, etc, and bolted to the surface causing an embolism?

Hypoxia comes from low O2 from breathing too low of a PO2 or from excessive hyperventilation.

Hypercapnia is too high of a CO2 level, caused by retention for a number of reasons, some stated in a previous post.

Some people have been found to be succeptable to CO2 retention more than others and are labeled 'retainers'. CO2 retention is viewed as a contributor to OxTox.

All of my points come from the following reference:

Technical Diver Encyclopedia
Chapter 9: Carbon Dioxide Retention
Jolie Bookspan, PhD

pilot fish:
Are there any reports of him bolting to the surface? Is it possible he ran out of air at depth, had a gear malfunction, etc, and bolted to the surface causing an embolism?

Was he diving solo? If not, have the rest of his group made any reports as to what they saw while he was underwater?

Mempilot, I think pt40fathoms is right in understanding that gpatton was talking about hypocapnia, not hypercapnia. I'm not too up on blackout incidents, but it's been my understanding from reading the DAN and PADI info that these usually happen at depth, not on the surface. I still think that the earlier scenario is more likely.

And Vickie, I hope I didn't sound critical of you or the SB staff in my earlier comments. I felt that your content and tone were completely appropriate. What I was trying to say was that if there were factual errors, then that's just the nature of these early reports and that they should be considered in that light. I've just heard too many stories lately of users demanding that other users edit or retract posts, and I have a bit of a problem with that. Redacting a post to be more sensitive to the facts or out of concern for the victim's family is certainly appropriate, in my humble opinion...

-Grier

GrierHPharmD:
I hope I didn't sound critical of ... the SB staff in my earlier comments

nope.. was just clarifying :wink:

GrierHPharmD:
Mempilot, I think pt40fathoms is right in understanding that gpatton was talking about hypocapnia, not hypercapnia.

I agree with PT. We posted at the same time. :) I was just trying to give some clarification to the other poster about CO2, OXTOX, and their relation through breathing nitrox.

GrierHPharmD:
And Vickie, I hope I didn't sound critical of you or the SB staff in my earlier comments.
Absolutely not, Sweetness.... but I did want to clarify it just in case someone thought SB staff was requesting me to change it. Your opinion is one I continue to value!

I'm glad no one is trying to crucify the operation here, because there is defineatly more to this story than can be posted at this time.

In time, there will be insights that will lead to alternative viewpoints that aren't so obvious right now.

pilot fish:

Dunno (don't think so), Yes, Yes, etc. and Yes but anything is possible until the final analysis is in. For your info, the dive operator sent me the following email:

"....Thank you for the heads up. The fatality on the Spiegel Grove was a tragedy
but did not happen as being speculated on the board. I can tell that you
understand the negitive consequences of perpetutating false rumurs. "

I believe BaitedStorm did talk to them as well. So until more is released by the authorities ... let's keep it real and not speculate wildly on the what if's.

Back
Top Bottom