(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagercola:
I'm heading to the Key Largo area next week to go diving with Bud n' Mary's Marina. I'm an AOW w/ just over 30 dives under my belt and am going to take a Nitrox course while there. I think the nitrox dive will be on the Eagle. Are the Eagle and SG very similar in currents? I think the SG is just a little deeper. Regardless, this accident has shaken me up. Anyone figure out how many people dive key largo every month or year and figure out how many accidents per x number of dives?

My best friend's dad just got back from Mt. Everest and one guy in his group died, a Canadian, then another American died. I read in an earlier post that three people have died in the Keys this year. That freaks me out when more people die in the keys diving than climbing Everest this year.

If I have to emergency assent in fast current or bad seas. I'm pulling out my saftey sausage and grabbing any bouy I can.

-Will

A dive op cant think for, or manage your air/equipment/sea conditions. Plan your dive, dive your plan, and keep your wits. Always consider what your options are. Remember your training, and remember that you can thumb a dive for ANY reason.

You'll be fine and have a great time.

PANIC=DEATH!

jagercola:
I'm heading to the Key Largo area next week to go diving with Bud n' Mary's Marina. I'm an AOW w/ just over 30 dives under my belt and am going to take a Nitrox course while there. I think the nitrox dive will be on the Eagle. Are the Eagle and SG very similar in currents? I think the SG is just a little deeper. Regardless, this accident has shaken me up. Anyone figure out how many people dive key largo every month or year and figure out how many accidents per x number of dives?

My best friend's dad just got back from Mt. Everest and one guy in his group died, a Canadian, then another American died. I read in an earlier post that three people have died in the Keys this year. That freaks me out when more people die in the keys diving than climbing Everest this year.

If I have to emergency assent in fast current or bad seas. I'm pulling out my saftey sausage and grabbing any bouy I can.

-Will

Hello Will (jagercola)

First, the current off the Keys in 100+ fsw can be strong (2+ knots) at any given time and in can completely change direction in minutes...

I have dove the Eagle a twice. The dive is interesting however each time the vis was only about 40 feet. I have dove to Spiegel about 25 times and the Daune about 12 times.

My favorite is the Spiegel. Check out the pics and UW videos of the Spiegel at
http://www.glennpatton.com/Spiegel/index.htm

Also, I put up a web page of dive tips...
http://www.glennpatton.com/Spiegel/Diving_tips.htm
If I missed an important tip let me know....

As for Mt Everest, read the Book "Into Thin Air". It is very good. According to the book, 25% of the climbers that attempt to climb the mountain die and are still on the mountain. Diving the Wrecks of the Keys is not even close to the dangers of Mt Everest, especially if you adhere to all the standard safety practices and dive within your training & capabilities..

Glenn

Scuba diving is not nor ever will be completely safe. It is however a "manageable risk" experience that makes life so much richer for those fortunate enough to get the opportunity.

Statistically speaking we are safer on the dive boat than we are in the car driving to the dive boat. Having said that I do have a major concern with many divers' predive preparation. Here is an article I wrote for a local newspaper a couple of years back talking about pre-dive preparation:

July 2003 is officially in the history books. Most of us who make our living on the water will remember her for being one of the windier July’s in recent memory. The wind only kept us on the dock a couple of days but the constant 2-4 foot seas made diving challenging. Ironically the water visibility was good most of the time and many of the divers had a great time. Unfortunately several divers did not enjoy themselves. To plan a dive vacation and get seasick or simply not have fun is disappointing. The sad thing is that most of the problems they encountered could have been avoided. Here are a few suggestions on how a diver can better prepare for diving in challenging conditions.

The first step is to be in good physical shape. Recreational diving is a low impact activity but can be strenuous. It can require periods of physical exertion due to rough seas and swimming against a current. Being physical fit also prepares you to better handle the unexpected. Even with the right amount of planning, diving conditions may change dramatically after the dive has begun. When faced with the unexpected in diving, we often have to rely on our physical conditioning. Scuba diving is not for "couch potatoes"!

The second step is to consider the possibility of seasickness. I could retire today if I had a dollar for every person who has told me they never get seasick moments before they give their breakfast to the grateful fish under the boat. Everyone who does not spend lots of time on the ocean should take some form of seasickness medicine. I personally recommend Bonine but other products like Triptone and Marazine work as well. We have found that is better to take a recommended dosage the night before in addition to the morning of the trip. Eating smart will also pay dividends. Lay off the greasy and acidic foods. A bagel and banana is a great pre-dive meal. It is also very important to stay hydrated. Drink lots of water before, during, and after your dive trip.

Step three is to get ready before the boat leaves dock. Set up your gear and get your weight belt ready. This will ensure your regulator and o-rings are all working and minimize the need to take your eyes off the horizon when the boat starts rocking and rolling. Another good practice is to get partway into your wetsuit before the boat leaves sheltered waters.

The fourth step is to listen carefully to the boat and dive briefing. Your captain and crew will give you very valuable advice on how to minimize the surge and current during your dive. There is a very high correlation between listening closely to the dive briefing and dive satisfaction.

The fifth step is to dive smart. Follow the captain’s dive directions. Keep your mask and regulator in place from the moment you exit the boat until you are back on the boat. A mouthful of salt water will ruin a dive. Do not have a tea party on the surface and get down as quickly as possible. During the dive, stay up current from your boat and look for coral ledges that provide protection from the surge. It is not necessary to swim a “mile” from the boat. My personal adage is “divers that travel the least see the most” and have the best time.

Recreational diving is supposed to be fun. It is important to know you limitations. If you are not comfortable in rough or challenging seas stay on the dock. If you are ready to tackle the challenge, these simple steps will help you enjoy diving in less than perfect conditions.

by Capt. John Stuart/Key Largo Times August 2003

Could someone tell me the jist of the story? Inquiring minds want to know. (Me)

Mark

baitedstorm:
I was just informed this morning about a terrible event that took place yesterday in Key Largo. I'm trying to find out any other information about this accident. If anyone knows anymore about this, please post.

I have been asked to edit this post pending new information

Read this thread... (the entire thread is about an incident last Saturday, diver fatality, including links to a story or two in the papers, official reports, etc.)

(See page 13 of this thread, in particular, for a news report and an incident report)

This afternoon, I had a conversation with the Rescue Diver that found the victim.

These are the details of the converation that I found significant;

1. The victim had a BC that had intregated weights. The Rescue Diver had to remove the weights.

2. No snorkel was present.

3. Seas were at least 5 feet when then FB 25 arrived.

4. The current was strong, the rescue diver, related that he had to crawl along the bottom (130 fsw) to reach the victim who had been missing for several hours.

Clarification -

#1 The victim had a BC that had intregated weights. The Rescue Diver had to remove the weights in order to start moving the body, also the Rescue Diver had to manually inflate the victims BC a little.

#4 The current was strong, the rescue diver, related that he had to crawl along the bottom (130 fsw) to reach the victim who had been missing for several hours. The diver/victim was last seen at the surface at 2:50 pm, the CG was called at 2:55/ Fire Boat 25 arrived at the Spiegel Grove serveral hours later. IMHO, the divers of FB 25 basically preformed very difficult body recovery dive under difficult circumstances.

Note: There were two Rescue Diver, the one Diver that I talked to found the victim the other Diver was in sight of this Diver. So, they joined up quick to effect the recovery....

If anyone has different info, please let us know......

Glenn

Also, the latest local news article is at
http://upperkeysreporter.com/articles/2005/05/06/news/news02.txt

gpatton:
1. The victim had a BC that had intregated weights. He had to remove the weights.

could you clarify the last sentence?

and christ, talk about spin on that story you quoted . . . now the Sheriff's response
time is too slow, and the guy could have been saved if only they had been faster... yeah

Wow, that last article really is slanted that it was the rescuers fault.

Anyone know if any eye whitnesses saw the diver with a snorkel before the dive? That would have helped in the waves I bet if he did have one.

I'm going to go to the local climbing store and buy two carabiners and some webbing/rope to make something to attach to a buoy or line if need be. Anyone have any suggestions for something similar?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom