47 Meters Down: The Next Chapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since this is scubaboard,
They need to learn to frog kick, and to stay in horizontal trim.
but they would not consume enough air to get into trouble during the whole film's runtime if they would lower their SAC by using fins :popcorn:

I wonder why they even bother writing these scenes happening underwater in the first place. The cave sharks could as well fly mid air if they just want to do unrealistic and entertaining stuff

Interesting -- do you have to input the tank size into the computer before you start? (And what would happen if you forgot to switch the size from, say, an HP120 to an LP72?)

It operates exclusively on PSI/BAR per minute.

Here are the calculations that the Teric does for the SAC rate, and then how it calculates the gas time remaining.
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 11.14.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 11.15.17 AM.png

Thanks -- that all makes sense. I'm a little embarrassed by my question now, so I appreciate the remedial math lesson.

Anyway, to get somewhat back on topic, I guess the spgs in the movie could pretty easily display percent of air remaining. Why you would want that instead of estimated minutes remaining, I'm not sure. Except that if you did it as minutes remaining the audience would probably be wondering why the gauge only went down 10 minutes in 20 minutes of movie (as they were going deeper and swimming harder).

Just watched this garbage for the entertainment value last night on Prime. What garbage... Dang, a blind great white in the Yucatan, constantly eating every human it sees. AMAZING. :banghead:

I thought it was great.

I "watched" "47 Meters Down: Uncaged" last night. Good thing my focus was on playing hearts on my laptop instead of the film. Otherwise it would have been a total waste of my time. I wonder what the girls' SAC rates were to have their tanks last so long. Good thing to see GWS aren't just man eaters... they'll take a bite out of a woman too (although most of them survived being held gently in the shark's jaws).

I haven't watched either movie and really don't plan too but I was curious about the full face masks used in both movies. What company makes them? Or are they just a Hollywood created mask similar to the SPG?

I was thinking about the spg, and maybe with an AI computer, you could develop a “time to empty” metric similar my car’s range and miles remaining calculation. It would change according to depth and breathing rate, but we already have indicators that are state conditional like NDL time and car mileage already.
Scubapro had this already in the seventies. It was called the Dive Timer. Here from the 1979 catalog:

SCUBAPRO%20Catalogo%201979%20-%2025.jpg

SWEET...... I love a good stupid comedy! Guess that’s why I am a Monty Python fan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom