4500psi or higher tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheSaint

Registered
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knows where to buy? Also do they come in a higher PSI than 4500? Thanks for the time I have spent a couple of day's looking and have only found the Poseiden tanks which are about 300 bar. The Saint

TheSaint once bubbled...
Was wondering if anyone knows where to buy? Also do they come in a higher PSI than 4500? Thanks for the time I have spent a couple of day's looking and have only found the Poseiden tanks which are about 300 bar. The Saint

Faber is making 300bar 10 and 12 litre tanks. It seems to me that those fiber wrapped lightweight carbon something-or-other tanks are also rated to 300 bar. I'm not sure who makes them but I think it's American.

R..

fiber wrapped lightweight carbon something-or-other tanks are also rated to 300 bar. I'm not sure who makes them but I think it's American.
Luxfer is making a composite tank, but I wouldn't mess with it. Cost too much for a short life span. (junk after 10 years if I recall correctly)
Interspiro makes a composite tank that's good for 40 years.

Luxfer is an international outfit, BTW.

TheSaint once bubbled...

Do you have your own fill station? If not, where would you get them filled? Are the fill stations outside the US generally equipped to fill to greater than 3500 ior so psi?

I am in the U.S. and am looking to buy a Alkin compressor from AireTex. You can't beat the price at 2495 electric new and 2795 gas new. What I am looking to do is use the high pressure tanks for a kind of portable cascade system along with the compressor to put less stress on the compressor itself. However after talking with Mr. Bruce Dodson from AireTex I may not have to do it as he assured me that the Alkin compressor is more than adequate. Thanks for the impute and keep it comming. I thought of using the bulk thanks but they are too big to lug around.

Pic of what I found so far: The white looking one on the right.

DUALTANK.jpg

But it is only 4350psi and I am still looking for 4500. Thanks, The Saint

TheSaint once bubbled...
What I am looking to do is use the high pressure tanks for a kind of portable cascade system along with the compressor to put less stress on the compressor itself.

Tank design changes a lot depending on pressure and gas involved. Look at an oxy-acetylene welding unit. One tank holds the acetylene at relatively low psi (1000 or so, IIRC) and the other holds the oxygene at a relatively high psi (3000-4000, IIRC). The tanks are a different shape from each other for that reason -- the acetylene one is short and stout, the oxygene tall and lean.

If you want some tanks to hold the gas for you for a quicker fill later, go buy one from a chemical supply place. The normal scuba tanks have some features that you definitely don't need.

For example, here are some of the engineering feats that a good scuba tank has:

1. bouyancy -- the ability to stay negative until the very end, but not be too heavy at the start.

2. store a significant amount of gas at a pressure no higher than 3000psi (4500 if DIN) because of valve/first-stage requirements.

3. maintain a low-profile in all directions

4. be able to withstand quick fills and general abuse you wouldn't dare inflict on a commercial tank.

All of these things are relatively unimportant when it comes to a storage tank.

KrisB once bubbled...

Tank design changes a lot depending on pressure and gas involved. Look at an oxy-acetylene welding unit. One tank holds the acetylene at relatively low psi (1000 or so, IIRC)

I thougth acetylene couldn't be compressed beyond 30 or 40 psi without risking catastrophic explosion.

Acetylene tanks are not simply a set of walls to hold pressure. The acetylene is dissolved in a honeycomb of acetone. Acetylene gas alone becomes unstable at pressures above about 15psi.

For high pressure cylinders, the importance of a proper design should be obvious. Unfortunately, some ignore this common sense safety precaution and rig up other pressure vessels for use as a bank. A couple years ago one of these systems (an old military bomb casing) exploded at Parrot's Landing here in Cayman killing one worker.

jonnythan once bubbled...

I thougth acetylene couldn't be compressed beyond 30 or 40 psi without risking catastrophic explosion.

I'm pretty sure it's higher than that. I may be wrong -- it might be 300-400, but remember that ambient pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi... at 30 psi, that means that if your tank stores 70 cu ft of gas, then it must take up 70 cu ft. :)

Besides, I'm sure the tank is intended to have a significant safety margin beyond the typical fill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom