$400 Slip? New Tank Damage after Slipping on Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Eric Sedletzky
said:
You would have to wail on it with a sledge hammer to even try to dent it and good luck with that. Even if the OP fell 20’ straight down onto a pointed rock it would be difficult to dent a steel dive tank.
@Bob DBF
I don't even want to ask how you know gained that knowledge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a rather old - vintage- antique - Nemrod -Seamless long slim scuba tank that has a pronounced dent in it.
It was a gift - donation to me or my wife to convert to a SCUBA bell many moons ago. I don't know the history of the cylinder -but all the certification stamps have been XXXX out
So it can and does happen...
SDM

@Marie13 CE

after any kind of fall with full gear it's your health that's important...glad your OK.

The OP might not know the difference between a dent and a paint chip or both. Those tanks are at least 1/4” thick high strength steel.
I seriously doubt there is a “dent”.
You would have to wail on it with a sledge hammer to even try to dent it and good luck with that. Even if the OP fell 20’ straight down onto a pointed rock it would be difficult to dent a steel dive tank.
If you are concerned, get it in the right light and sight down it, or put a straight edge on it.
Since you wail on steel with hammers so often I think you have stated a valid opinion :coffee:

Tranks are filled and ready to go diving. As you all suggested, the scratches/gouges were just the paint. I feel a bit embarrassed with my initial concerns. The LDS did say it is a good idea to let them know if something happened to the tank so they can do a quick look before filling. LDS did show me a steel tank that just came in from a local fire department. I guess it fell off the shelve and landed on the valve, which bent it.

Gosh o Gee
A scratched tank !
Oh the Horror : A scratched tank !

I suspect all the little fishes in the Wisconsin lake will rapidly swim away from you,
they will be so embarrassed to be seen swimming next to a diver with a scratched tank

Welcome to the world of recreational diving

Sam Miller

resize.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom