$400 Slip? New Tank Damage after Slipping on Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I hope this is the right place to post.

Recently picked up two new Faber HP100. LDS charged $400/each with free air fills and visuals inspection for two years (hope this puts the price in perspective). We had our first dive with the tanks yesterday. Unfortunately, while walking into the water I slipped on some rocks and caused several scrapes/gouges on this brand new tank!

I didn't realize the damage until after the dive. I got that horrible feeling in my stomach after seeing the damage.

I talked with our LDS on the phone today. They said they would inspect it when we make the trip for a refill, but they stated it may need to go in for hydro. Luckily if that is the case, our lds will provide me a free loaner as they did when we waited for the tanks to come in. I hope this wasn't a $400 fall.

Have any of you damaged your tanks like this from falling? My wife made the right choice to enter further down the shore after seeing me fall. I should have done the same. /facepalm

IMG_03721.jpg

IMG_03731.jpg

IMG_03741.jpg

Dings in the paint? My steels with the same finish have numerous chips in the paint. I don’t worry about it. My LDS doesn’t say boo about it and they’ve passed VIP twice.

I’m hard as heck on my tanks. I’m not careful of the finish. If they get dinged, they get dinged. The bottom of my doubles would make you faint. :D

Dings in the paint?

Is that all that is, chipped paint? Lds said they could not make a call on the damage until we brought the tank in. My wife is taking the tanks down later this week. We have another dive planned for 07/03 at a quarry (No Great Lake diving for us yet Marie).

Is that all that is, chipped paint? Lds said they could not make a call on the damage until we brought the tank in. My wife is taking the tanks down later this week. We have another dive planned for 07/03 at a quarry (No Great Lake diving for us yet Marie).

Your LDS is being stupid. Paint chips. That’s all it is.

IMO, the tanks don’t need to go in.

Thanks all for your quick replies. You all made me feel better. This sport/hobby got expensive quick. All I originally planned to do was get certified for our trip to Jamaica!

I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.

They look like paint chips. If diving in salt water, cover the area with some clear nail polish and forget it.

I don't think the LDS is being stupid; they are being careful with what they tell you over the phone, since they haven't seen the tank. People here have seen the pictures. The LDS has only heard you describe how you slipped and banged up the tank on rocks.
Having said that, I would be surprised if they think any real damage has been done.

If I was the shop I'd want to see the tank before I gave a proffessional opinion. I don't know if the shop has even seen the pictures.

Bob

I have an update. Spoke with the manager who saw the pictures and said it looks like the paint was scrapped. The person I spoke with is not someone I usually deal with. Sorry for wasting your time. I was freaking out a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom