40 years ago today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoomi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...we sat in my Grandparent's living room and watched history happen. All around the world, people looked up and realized for the first time that the Moon was no longer out of reach. 40 years ago today, the sky was no longer the limit.

I was 9 years old, and Neil Armstrong was walking on the Moon. The possibilities were staggering.

In my own view, the important achievement of Apollo was a demonstration that humanity is not forever chained to this planet, and our visions go rather further than that, and our opportunities are unlimited.
~ Neil Armstrong

For those old enough, where were you 40 years ago today?

For me the whole thing happened at night,so we where hiding behind the couch :D
Parents where to bussy watching the landing, they never new we where there,untill it was all over.
Most have been one of the most amazing things I ever saw.

Last edited:
I was watching in our living room with my parents and all my siblings. I never dreamed we'd get to the moon and then stop going. What a waste! We should have a thriving colony there by now.

Likewise as most kids my age, we were enthralled with the program and followed it like kids now follow rock bands. I was 13 and sat in the den watching with my folks and brother.

On my honeymoon. We were living in a tent up in Idaho when we heard that the moon had been reached. We drove to the nearest motel (about 40 miles) and watched in awe the first steps on the moon. Funny thing the screen in that motel was yellow so I saw it in black & yellow!:eyebrow:

My parents got us kids out of bed to watch.

They said it was important!

I was 11

I can not remember exactly where I was when they walked on the moon but my grandfather drove me and an uncle down to Cape Carnaval to watch the launch. I have vivid memories of Apollo 11 lifting off.

Back
Top Bottom